Our commencement ceremony celebrates the accomplishments of our students and honors them for completing their undergraduate and graduate degrees at Western.
Commencement 2023 Details
Western Colorado University is pleased to announce Commencement will be held Saturday, May 6, 2023, at 10 a.m. on Taylor Lawn followed by a reception for students, families, faculty and staff.
Since this event will be held outdoors, our graduating students and their family and friends will experience Western’s beautiful mountain setting. Still, spring in the Rockies is fraught with unpredictable conditions. As we like to say, our best back up plan is be prepared for anything.
Guests are being asked to bring plenty of warm clothes and blankets for the ceremony, which should last about two hours. Sunny skies are the norm throughout the year in Gunnison, so sunscreen and sunglasses should be a part of preparation for a glorious day.
We will continue to provide updated information on this webpage so please check back regularly.
We look forward to seeing you on Saturday, May 6!
Need to request ADA seating? Please email Registrar@western.edu.
- For UNDERGRADUATES:
- The Bookstore. You can stop by in the University Center or call to order. Order ASAP so you can get a size that works for you!
- Our cap and gown colors are black. If you already have a black cap and gown, you may use the one you have.
- For GRADUATE STUDENTS:
- Contact Graduate Studies for regalia rental
- No. Tickets are not needed this year and there is no limit to the number of guests who can attend.
- You must RSVP to the invitation that will be sent out in the first half of spring semester.
- If you missed the deadline noted in the email you need to contact email@example.com immediately.
- Please note that if you missed the deadline, we will not prohibit you from participating in commencement if you’ve met all graduation requirements, however, you may not appear in the commencement program.
- Hopefully you responded in the student RSVP invite! If not, please email the Office of the Registrar ASAP at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you responded via the invite, we will contact you by email to inquire about what your needs might be.
- An area on the field below the bleachers (no stairs required) is set up with chairs or space for wheel chairs, and a space in the first few rows of bleachers is available for limited mobility seating.
- A limited number of guests will be able to sit in this area because there is limited space. We will do our best to accommodate additional seats for others in your party, within reason.
- Commencement is outside, rain, snow, wind, or sun! Plan for ALL types of weather. Raincoat, blanket/parka, sunscreen, hat,etc.
- The livestream will be on in the University Center Theater for anyone who prefers to watch from indoors for any reason.
- Yes! Anyone will be able to watch commencement from anywhere they want.
- The link to the livestream will be available on Western’s home page (www.western.edu) on the day of the ceremony, and a video of the livestream will be available on this webpage.
Check this FAQ again later – a virtual commencement rehearsal video will be posted here on Friday, May 5th. No in-person rehearsal is held.
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.
Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.