FB Pixel Skip to Main Content
Registration & Advising Services

Registration & Advising Services

Helping students reach and exceed their goals.

Scroll to bottom of section

Registration & Advising Services provides advising services to current and future students on a multitude of topics. Our academic support staff will help you create, assess and revise a personalized plan to help you achieve your goals.

New Student Registration

Registration & Advising Services guides you through registering for your first semester of classes at Western.

If you have questions, please call 970.943.7056. Find a checklist built specifically for you below:

Step 1
  • Pay your $200 tuition deposit. It will appear on the checklist immediately after logging into MyWestern, or you can pay by check or credit card with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.
Step 2
  • Complete the Financial Agreement. It will appear on the checklist immediately after logging into MyWestern.
Step 3
  • Complete the New Student Pre-Registration Survey. You will be able to access the survey in your MyWestern checklist after completing Steps 1 and 2.
  • Once you have completed the survey, an academic advisor will register you for classes in seven to 10 business days. We will notify you at your Western email address when your class schedule is ready.
  • Once you are registered for classes, an academic advisor will be assigned to you.

Tip: Familiarize yourself with your DegreeWorks account (your online advising tool) and Western’s course search tool.

Step 4
  • If you are bringing in college credit (AP, IB, concurrent or dual enrollment), you must submit your official transcripts or test scores to be evaluated and list them in the Pre-Registration Survey.​ If your transfer coursework has not been evaluated in DegreeWorks and is not listed in your Pre-Registration Survey, your registration may be inaccurate.

Step 1
  • You must submit your official transcripts to be evaluated. You can access your transfer courses in DegreeWorks (your online advising tool).​ If your transfer coursework has not been evaluated in DegreeWorks and is not listed in your pre-registration survey, you will not be registered for classes.
  • Please contact the Transfer Credit Evaluator at 970.943.2048 in the Office of the Registrar to expedite the processing of your transfer coursework if it is not yet complete.
Step 2
  • Pay your $200 tuition deposit. It will appear on the checklist immediately after logging into your MyWestern, or you can pay by check or credit card with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.
Step 3
  • Complete the Financial Agreement. It will appear on the checklist immediately after logging into your MyWestern.
Step 4
  • Complete the New Student Pre-Registration Survey. You will be able to access the survey in your MyWestern checklist after completing Steps 1 and 2.
  • Once you have completed the survey, an academic advisor will register you for classes in seven to 10 business days. We will notify you at your Western email address when your class schedule is ready for you.
  • Once you are registered for classes, an academic advisor will be assigned to you.

Tip: Familiarize yourself with your DegreeWorks account (your online advising tool) and Western’s course search tool.

Non-degree seeking students enroll in classes without meeting with an advisor. If you need assistance with registering for courses, contact the Office of the Registrar at 970.943.7056.

Step 1
  • Pay your $200 tuition deposit. You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account or by check or credit card with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.
Step 2
  • Complete the “Financial Agreement”. It will appear on the checklist immediately after logging in to your MyWestern.
Class Schedule

To look up the availability of courses, visit Western’s course search tool.

  • Click on the appropriate term.
  • Select a course subject.
  • You may select any other search criteria if you wish.
  • Click Query.
  • All courses offered during the selected term will be displayed with the days, time, location, and available seats.
  • To look up the class description and determine prerequisites (if any), click on the course link and then “View Catalog Entry.”
  • Any prerequisites will be listed at the end of the course description.
  • Note: You must meet the prerequisites for any and all courses you would like to take at Western. If you cannot register for a class due to a prerequisite error, please contact the instructor of the class.
  • Note the CRN (Course Registration Number) for each class you would like to take, as you will need it when it comes time to register.
Registration Instructions
  • Log into MyWestern.
  • Click on Student.
  • Click on Registration.
  • Click on Add/Drop Classes.
  • Check to ensure the correct semester is listed and click Submit.
  • Add one CRN (Course Registration Number) in each box and click Submit Changes.
  • If you see a red exclamation mark next to a class after you have submitted your changes you have a Registration Add Error. Please double check the prerequisites for the class and/or time conflicts. Contact the Office of the Registrar 970.943.7056 if you cannot determine the instructor.
  • To check your schedule, click Student Schedule Day & Time.

Concurrent Enrollment students are enrolled in classes through Chrissie Nehrenberg. Please contact her directly at 970.943.2034.

Are you coming to Western through the National Student Exchange? Contact the Center for Learning and Innovation for registration information.

Undeclared Majors

academic resource center

Be the architect of your own education.

The Exploratory Program exists to provide a seamless transition for all undeclared students at Western from college entry to the time of declaring a major. Through an investigation of individual abilities, interests and values you can clarify your own educational, career and life goals.

Learn More

Charting your own course

The Exploratory Program will help you stay on track to graduate with the degree you need, to pursue the meaningful career you want.

The Trailhead - Student Success Center

The EPIC Mentors hang out in The Trailhead student success center

Connect with experienced peers through the EPIC Mentorship Program.

As an incoming student, you’ll be paired with an Experienced Peers Initiating Connections (EPIC) Mentor to guide you through summer and your first year at Western. These students are upperclassmen who are empowered to provide you with the resources you need to connect with campus and community in Gunnison. Once you’re off and running, your EPIC Mentor will be there to answer any questions that you have and connect you with the resources and advocacy necessary for success.

Learn More

Making connections

Each incoming student is paired with an Experienced Peers Initiating Connections (EPIC) Mentor to guide them through their first year at Western.

Writing Center

Registration & Advising Services

Guidance for any stage of the writing process.

At the student-led Writing Center, you can work one-on-one with staff to improve your writing skills and academic writing assignments. You can come to the Writing Center at any stage of the writing process, whether it’s to brainstorm ideas and get started on a paper, incorporate feedback or to work on polishing and editing.

Learn More

Writing skills

Western’s Writing Center in Taylor Hall helps students craft, edit and polish assignments.

Testing Services

Convenient testing services to help you thrive.

Registration & Advising Services offers CLEP tests throughout the year. If you would like to take a test, please review the information below and call our office to schedule a date at 970.943.7056.

Examinations offered through the Registration & Advising Services:

Registration & Advising Services is able to administer some exams to students for course placement and course credit. All examinees are required to pay a $25 proctoring fee.

Exams may be scheduled Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. If an examinee schedules an exam during a timeframe that does not allow for the full amount of allotted time, the examinee will forfeit the portion of the time that occurs after 5 p.m. Registration & Advising Services operates on the university calendar.

For more information about the ALEKS Exam, click here.

For information regarding national standardized exams, please contact Testing Services located within the Office of Student Affairs located in Taylor Hall 301. You may contact them by phone at 970.943.2232. For more information regarding specific exams offered, please visit the Testing Services page.

Course credit by CLEP examination may allow examinees to receive college credit for successful completion of CLEP exams in variety of subject areas including math, science, history, composition, and literature. Western may allow students to receive up to 18 credit hours by CLEP examination. For specific information regarding course credit by CLEP examination, please see exam score equivalencies by AP, CLEP, and IB from the Office of the Registrar.

**Please keep in mind that equivalency scores are subject to change due to periodic re-evaluation of course requirements.**

To register for a CLEP exam, please visit https://clep.collegeboard.org/. Examinees are required to pay an $93 exam fee to CLEP by debit or credit card. Please print and keep your admission ticket; you must present it on test day to be admitted to the test center.

To schedule a CLEP exam, please contact the Registration & Advising Services by phone at 970.943.7056 or by email at reg_advise@western.edu or in person by visiting Taylor Hall 302. Examinees are required to pay a $25 proctoring fee for each exam administered to Western at the Cashier’s Window; the receipt must be presented on exam day to be admitted to the testing center.

To learn about what courses you might be able to test out of and to view specifics about our CLEP policies, visit the Office of the Registrar CLEP website.

CLEP Exams are for Western students only. The total fee for each CLEP exam administered by Western is $118 ($93 payable to CLEP; $25 payable to Western).
Acceptable Forms of ID

All examinees are required to present a government-issued photo ID in order to be admitted to the testing center. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • Current Driver’s License
  • Current Passport
  • Current military ID
  • Current National ID
  • Current Tribal ID card
  • Current Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)

Expired IDs, birth certificates, social security cards, student ID cards or photo copies of ID will NOT be accepted as valid forms of ID. The name that appears on your ID and your admission ticket must match. If these names do not match, you will NOT be admitted to the testing center. It is advised to use your legal name when registering for your CLEP exam to avoid discrepancies.

Students with Disabilities

If you have a disability that may prevent you from completing a CLEP exam under standard conditions, you may request accommodations from the testing center in advance of the exam to ensure that arrangements can be made. You may be required to submit documentation related to your specific disability as each request for accommodations are approved by the testing center on a case by case basis. If the testing center is unable to accommodate your needs, please contact CLEP about additional non-standard options via email at clep@info.collegeboard.org or by calling 1.800.257.9558 before you register for your exam.

Additional Information

For more detailed information regarding specific CLEP exams, please visit CLEP Online.

For study guides and other test preparation resources please visit CLEP Resources.

For additional CLEP resources provided by Study.com, please visit Learn all about CLEP.

Western offers Spanish language placement exams for current and prospective students who would like to enroll into a higher level Spanish course beyond Spanish 101. In order to take a WebCAPE placement exam, students must contact the Registration & Advising Services and schedule a time to take their exam in the RAS Testing Center at least one week in advance of their proposed test date. RAS can be contacted by phone at 970-943-7056 or students may visit RAS located in Taylor Hall 302.

On exam day, students should plan to arrive 15 minutes prior to their scheduled time to ensure that they are able to begin the exam on time. To check into the RAS Test Center, the student must provide a receipt for their proctoring fee and a valid photo ID.

Acceptable forms of ID

Acceptable forms of ID that may be used for admission of a WebCAPE exam include:

  • Current driver’s license
  • Military ID
  • Current passport
Course Placement Criteria

For information regarding course placement criteria, please refer to the chart below. For additional questions or concerns regarding placement, please contact the Communication Arts, Languages, and Literature (CALL) department at 970-943-2025.

Spanish Placement Criteria
Course WebCAPE Minimum Score OR Prerequisite Course
SPAN 101 269 or lower or No previous Spanish coursework
SPAN 102 270-345 or SPAN 101
SPAN 201 346-426 or SPAN 102
SPAN 202 427-508 or SPAN 201
SPAN 270 509 or higher or SPAN 202
SPAN 340 509 or higher or SPAN 202
SPAN 341 509 or higher or SPAN 202
SPAN 375 509 or higher or SPAN 202
SPAN 321 509 or higher or SPAN 202 or instructor permission
SPAN 324 509 or higher or SPAN 202 or instructor permission
SPAN 482 509 or higher or SPAN 202 or instructor permission

The following items are prohibited in the test center and private examination rooms:

  1. Cell phones, smart-watches, fitness bands/trackers and all devices with recording, Internet or communication capabilities that are:
    a. Not related to the approved accommodations; or
    b. Are approved prior to the exam by the instructor for the purposes of the exam; but are prohibited in the test lab and private examination rooms.
  2. A space is provided in the common hallway of the Registration & Advising Services for the storage of personal items (including but not limited to: hats, purses, backpacks, food and/or drinks) during testing.
  3. All electronic devices must be completely powered off prior to storing them.
  4. Please use the restroom prior to beginning the exam.
  5. Please have your photo ID ready. You will take your ID with you to the test lab or examination room.
  6. If you are taking a standardized exam, please have your receipt ready.

These are designed to protect the student and to ensure the integrity of the examination process. This policy will be strictly enforced.

All examinees are asked to arrive at least 15 minutes early to ensure they are able to begin their exam at the scheduled time. Examinees who arrive more than 30 minutes late to their scheduled exam may be asked to reschedule.

Examinees should schedule their exam at least five (5) business days in advance.

International Student Services

Your journey to success starts at Western.

At Western, we welcome students from all over the world to grow and thrive in our community. While the admissions process for an international university might seem overwhelming, our academic staff is committed to making your transition to Western and to the United States as seamless as possible.

All international students are highly encouraged to have health insurance. If you can show proof of enrollment in an accident/sickness insurance plan from your home country that will be accepted in the United States then you do not have to purchase another plan. There are several insurance companies offering international student insurance, such as HTH Worldwide, International Student Insurance or Shondeck Insurance. These health insurance providers can offer coverage for prescriptions, doctor’s visits (related to injury or sickness), and other inpatient and outpatient care. The Campus Health Center can provide most of your common medical services.

Without medical coverage an unexpected illness could mean financial hardship for you and your family, and could make it financially difficult to continue your education. If you are an intercollegiate athlete, you are required to follow the health insurance requirements provided by the Athletic Department at Western Colorado University. Please note if you are an intercollegiate athlete you should contact your coach in order to best figure out which health insurance plan you should purchase. The health insurance provisions and benefits are subject to change.

As a student in the U.S. in F-1 status, you are required to follow specific federal laws. This is meant to provide a generic overview of certain F-1 requirements; it does not contain all laws for every situation. If you ever have questions or concerns, always contact the Office of Student Affairs for specific guidance.

As an F-1 student, it is your responsibility to maintain your non-immigrant F-1 status. Failure to follow the laws for F-1 status can result in you losing your legal ability to be in the U.S., and may harm your chances of getting a new visa in the future. To ensure you are following F-1 laws, you must:

  • Keep your passport valid at all times, in most cases for at least six months into the future.
  • Ensure your I-94 card is always marked as F-1, D/S when you re-enter the U.S.
  • Complete your class registration by the published registration deadline.
  • Update your change of physical address (where you live in the US) with the Office of Student Affairs within 10 days of the change. This address cannot be a P.O. Box or a departmental address. More information can be found here.
  • Pursue a full-course of study each fall and spring semester, defined as 12 semester hours for undergraduate students and nine semester hours for graduate students.
  • Obtain permission from the Office of Student Affairs if you need to enroll in less than a full-course of study, using the Part-Time Enrollment Authorization form.
  • Obtain permission from the Office of Student Affairs before withdrawing from all your courses.
  • Make normal progress toward completing a course of study. This includes graduating when you are eligible to graduate and not delaying graduation for non-academic reasons.
  • Not let your I-20 expire. You must remember the expiration date on your I-20, and process your program extension prior to the expiration date listed on your current I-20 if you are not able to complete your studies by that time.
  • Restrict your on-campus work to a weekly total of 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters. You may work full-time during the winter and summer vacations.
  • Refrain from beginning off-campus work until you have obtained the necessary authorization in advance from either the Office of Student Affairs or the USCIS.
  • If traveling outside the U.S., ensure you have a valid visa (except citizens of Canada and Bermuda) and a recent travel signature on your I-20.
  • Notify the Office of Student Affairs if you will be outside of the U.S. for more than five months.
  • Contact the Office of Student Affairs if you wish to transfer to another U.S. school.
  • Not work after completing your program of study unless you have been authorized for Optional Practical Training.
  • Depart from the U.S. within 60 days after completing your program of study.

Information on this page applies to International Students ONLY. Any links provided are not companies endorsed by Western and students are encouraged to do their own research regarding tax filing as well. Please use this site as a guideline only.

Instructions directly from the IRS can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf

Examples of different tax situations provided by the IRS can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/alien-residency-examples

Who has to file a U.S. tax return?

A nonresident alien (F Visa holder for less than five years) who is in the United States for at least half of a year (183 days) or if you receive interest income from deposits with a U.S. bank, savings, loan, credit union or insurance company.

If I do not work, do I need to file?

Yes. You must file IRS Form 8843. Dependents on F-2 and J-2 status must also file IRS Form 8843.

How do I determine my status as either nonresident alien or a resident alien?

Contact the Study Abroad Office for assistance in determining your status.

Why is knowing my residency status important?

You will need to know this information to properly file your tax return. For nonresidents, the special tax form is Form 1040NR. For any exceptions contact the Study Abroad Office for assistance.

What do I need to file my taxes?
  • Visa
  • Current and previous passports
  • Form 1-20
  • Social Security Number
  • Current and foreign/permanent address
  • U.S. entry and exit dates (stamps in your passport, or your travel history listed on your I-94 entry documentation which can be found at https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home )
  • Any tax forms you have received (some can be found on your MyWestern account: employee->tax forms), which may include:
    • Form W-2
    • Form 1042-S
    • Form 1095-C
    • Form 1099
  • Western Information
    • 1 Western Way, Gunnison, CO 81231
What tax form should I use as a non-resident alien?
How do I file my taxes?
  • Follow all instructions carefully
  • For Form 8843:
    • In part III – Item 9: Western Colorado University, 1 Western Way, Gunnison, CO 81231, 970.943.2232
    • In part III – Item 19: Laurel Becker, Western Colorado University, 1 Western Way, Gunnison, CO 81231, 970.943.2232
    • All other items you should be able to answer on your own.
  • Registration & Advising Services will be putting together a meeting that you may attend to help you navigate tax requirements 970.943.7056.

All forms are due by April 15.

**If you are only filing IRS Form 8843, it is due by June 15**

Where should I send the tax forms?

If you need to send in paper forms, send to:

Department of the Treasury

Internal Revenue Service Center

Austin, TX 73301-0215

Should I keep copies of my tax return forms?

Absolutely! You need to have proof that you filed them.

More Resources

Browse work-study positions. International students may only work in institutional positions.

International Graduate Student Applicants

Western Colorado University welcomes graduate students from around the world. Western attracts international graduate students with small, thought-provoking, residential classes, engaging online programs and its dedicated faculty.

The School of Graduate Studies manages Western’s eight graduate programs: Graduate Program in Creative Writing (MFA/M.A.), Master of Environmental Management, M.S in Ecology, Master of Art in Education, Master of Art in Special Education, an Outdoor Industry MBA, MBS in Rural Community Health, and a graduate program in High Altitude Exercise Physiology. The School’s staff will help you address the challenges of studying in the U.S. by providing pre-arrival assistance information on visas, registration, orientation and housing.

You are classified as an international student only if you will apply for or already have a non-immigrant United States F-1 visa. Applicants who have established permanent-resident status in the U.S. are not considered international for admission purposes and should apply as a U.S. resident.

To be considered for graduate programs at Western, you must hold the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. You must have earned the degree at an institution recognized and approved to award such credentials. Typically, Western does admit international students as non-degree-seeking students.

If you are applying to one of Western’s completely online programs, please contact Laurel Becker (lbecker@western.edu) regarding visa requirements. As Western’s SEVIS Coordinator, she will assist you.

Required Documentation for Admission to Graduate Programs

International graduate students seeking admission to one of Western’s master’s programs must submit an online application, official college transcripts and specific program requirements. All documents in a language other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.

How to Apply for Admission
  1. Complete and submit Western’s Online Graduate Application. All applications must be completed online.
  2. Submit a $50 non–refundable application fee. We will not process applications until we receive payment.
  3. Submit admission requirements for your particular program:
    1. Graduate Programs in Creative Writing
    2. Master of Arts in Education
    3. Master of Environmental Management
    4. High Altitude Exercise Physiology
  4. If you earned your degree at a U.S. Institution, submit official copies of all secondary transcripts and verification that you received a degree. International applicants must hold the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. We do not return submitted documents to applicants. If you were educated overseas and are submitting a detailed credential evaluation (see next bullet item), we do not require official transcripts with the application. We do require official, final-degree-verifying transcripts if you have not received your degree at the time of application.
  5. If you earned your degree at a foreign, non-U.S. Institution, submit a credential evaluation prepared by a reputable credential evaluator. Western Colorado University will accept evaluations prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services member. Each credential evaluation agency has different names for different services. The evaluation, regardless of what it is called by the evaluation agency, must include a detailed listing of the courses completed while you were enrolled at the overseas institutions, the grade received in each course, and an overall evaluation of your cumulative coursework at each institution. International applicants who will not have earned a degree prior to applying to a graduate program should request that the evaluation agency note the US equivalency of the anticipated awarded degree. Evaluations must be sent directly from the evaluation service agency. Photocopies are not accepted.
  6. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – International students must demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting TOEFL or IELTS results. Minimum scores on the TOEFL are iBT (internet based test): 79-120, Paper Version: 550, Computer-Based Test: 213. Applicants from countries where English is the SOLE OFFICIAL language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada-except Quebec, England, the Gambia, Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda and Wales) are typically not required to submit TOEFL results. For more information on TOEFL, please visit http://www.ets.org/toefl
  7. The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is required by some academic programs. All test scores must be submitted directly by the testing agency. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for Western Colorado University Graduate School is 7527. Photocopies of test scores are not accepted.

Before your application can be reviewed, you also must provide:

An Affidavit of Support Form for your specific graduate program and include it with your application for Admission to Western. Western Colorado University and the U.S. Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement require that admitted students planning to enter the U.S. on an F-1 (student) visa provide proof of financial support before immigration documents (I-20) can be issued. Proof of the ability to cover the first year’s educational costs, living expenses and other miscellaneous expenses must be made available to the University. The program specific Affidavit of Support contains estimated tuition and fee cost for each program. The tuition and fee cost for each program is subject to change.

Other Required Documents:

  • A letter of financial support and bank statement showing sufficient funds to cover the first year of study.
  • A photocopy of your passport, listing official name, birthdate, etc.
  • If you are in the U.S., a photocopy of your visa and I-94 by which you entered the country.

You must submit financial documents via postal mail.

Send materials to:

Western Colorado University
Academic Affairs
Taylor Hall 301
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231
Phone: 970.943.2232

* We do not accept documents received by email or fax. We do not return documents submitted as part of a graduate application. Federal financial aid is not available to international graduate students.

Application Deadlines

Students are considered for summer admissions for the graduate programs in Creative Writing and the Master of Environmental Management. Students are considered for fall admissions for Master of Arts in Education and the High Altitude Exercise Physiology master program. Completed application forms must be on file with the Extended Studies Office by March 1 for admittance for the summer semester, and by May 1 for the fall semester.

Application Status

Typically, you will receive your admission decision four to six weeks after we have received all of your application materials. Contact your program director for additional information.

Confirming your Enrollment

Once you decide to attend one of Western’s master programs, confirm your enrollment and reserve your spot in the in-coming class by submitting your $250 deposit. You will need to submit your deposit before you can register for classes.

To submit your deposit by check or credit card, contact the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.

Academic Probation

If you’re struggling in classes and need additional assistance, please reach out to the academic success advisor. They can help you improve in areas including time management, test-taking tips, study skills, reading skills, accountability, and much more. To schedule an appointment, please call Registration & Advising Services at 970.943.7056 or stop by Taylor 302.

The Turning Point Program is designed for students on academic probation. In order to plan for academic success, you’ll need to take action during the first part of the semester. Steps on how to complete this program are below.

  1. Complete the online self-assessment form.
  2. Schedule a meeting with a Success Advisor

Refer to the Understanding Academic Probation section below for additional information.

Students are placed on academic probation status as a warning that their academic progress is not satisfactory and that they should take steps to improve their academic performance to avoid suspension from the University. Students placed on academic probation should immediately seek assistance in academic improvement from sources such as academic advisors, instructors, current students, or the Registration & Advising Services. Information regarding academic policies can be found in the University’s Academic Policies Handbook or Catalog.

Definition of Academic Probation from the Academic Policies Manual:

Students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade-point average falls below the minimum required (see below). It is an early warning that students should take steps to improve academic performance. Students are placed on academic probation if they:

  • are in the first semester of enrollment at Western (regardless of the number of credits) and receive a semester GPA below 1.500;
  • have attempted fewer than 10 credits and have less than a 1.750 cumulative GPA at the end of a non-probationary semester;
  • have attempted between 10 and 44 credits and have less than a 1.880 cumulative GPA at the end of a non-probationary semester; or
  • have attempted 45 or more credits and have less than a 2.000 cumulative GPA at the end of a non-probationary semester.

Students are expected to raise their cumulative grade-point average to the required level during the probationary semester. Academic probation ends when the student achieves the required cumulative grade point average. Students on probation who achieve at least a 2.000-semester grade-point average (even though the cumulative grade-point average has not reached the specified level) may be permitted to continue for an additional probationary semester.

Helpful Links

Department Information

Registration & Advising Services

Department Head

Katie L. Wheaton

Executive Director of Registration and Advising Services

Campus Location

Western Colorado University
Taylor Hall 302
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231

Take the Next Step

Apply to
Students pose for a photo on top of Mount Crested Butte in the summer

Apply to

We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.

Colorado Hall with the Palisades in the background on a bluebird day.


The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.

A group of four alumni look at a display of old photos on a table.


We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.

A few students pose for a photo behind a table.


Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.