Invitations to the Honors Program are extended to high school students who have achieved a 3.5 cumulative grade point average or who have successfully completed International Baccalaureate programs. First or second-year Western students who have a minimum overall 3.3 grade point average may also apply. Upper-division students are considered on an individual basis.
- Transfer students with 29 or fewer credits are invited to join Honors if they have achieved a minimum overall 3.3 college grade point average as well as fulfilled the high school GPA and test score requirements. Transfer students with 29 or more credits and a minimum overall 3.3 college grade point average are considered on an individual basis.
- Continuation in the program is based on maintaining an overall grade point average of 3.0. Graduation from the program requires a grade point average of 3.3 and completion of program requirements. Honors students who complete the 21 credit Honors curriculum with a minimum 3.3 overall grade point average are recognized at graduation.
- Honors students are expected to complete a minimum of 21 credit hours of Honors courses. Continuation in the program is based on maintaining an overall grade point average of 3.0. Graduation from the program requires an overall grade point average of 3.3.
- The 21 credits of Honors courses are built into the 120 credit hours required to graduate from Western.
- Students are also strongly recommended to take a minimum of one Honors course per academic year to remain in good standing.
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.