B.A., College of St. Catherine, Russian Area Studies, 1984
Gwyneth Gibby is the Associate Publisher for WMG Publishing Inc., where she puts her skills as a marketing expert to great use. She directed feature films for Hollywood legend Roger Corman and taught film and video production for an MFA program sponsored by the Royal Film Commission in Jordan. She was an award-winning investigative reporter for newspapers in Corvallis and Lincoln City, Oregon. Gwyneth is also an expert in narrative in the digital medium.
How did you discover Western?
I was asked to give a guest lecture to students in the Creative Writing Publishing program a couple of years ago. I’m very pleased that the program has grown so much in a short time!
What are some highlights of your career?
- As Associate Publisher for WMG Publishing, helped double our books sales using a combination of marketing tactics.
- Created the curriculum with fellow faculty for the Red Sea Institute of Cinematic Arts (accredited in 2011), MFA program under the aegis of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan’s Royal Film Commission.
- Mentored young filmmakers from across the Middle East; many have their films in festivals, now work professionally, and teach other aspiring filmmakers. • Directed feature films in Russia, India, and Peru.
- Created the post-production department at Concorde-Anois, a new independent film studio in Ireland.
- Created an Arts in Education pilot program for 4th and 5th graders.
What excites you most about your field?
I love helping empower writers and other creative folks to reach new audiences and engage with a larger world. The digital medium has brought down some obstacles from the past, such as gatekeepers in publishing and other media, and voices from all sectors of our communities are eager to learn how to use mass communication channels in new and creative ways. It’s an exciting era to be in media!
What is your favorite thing about the Gunnison Valley?
My parents were both native Coloradoans and we spent part of every summer in Colorado. It is a place that has some of my best childhood memories–hiking in the mountains, fishing for trout in streams, horseback riding.