FB Pixel Skip to Main Content

Mountaineer Card Office

Mountaineer Cards

Your Mountaineer Card serves as your official student ID. All students, faculty and staff are required to have one. Your Mountaineer Card gives you access to:

How To Get a Mountaineer Card

You will receive your first card for free. You must show an alternate ID before receiving your first card. If you are a new student to Western, you will receive your Mountaineer Card from your EPIC Mentor. If you are a new Western employee, or if you need a replacement card, visit the Mountaineer Card Office located in University Center 106. If you are an employee, you will need to obtain authorization from Human Resources to receive your first card.

Your Mountaineer Card is good for the entirety of your time at Western, and you will not be re-issued a new card each year.

Mountaineer Cash

Mountaineer Cash is money that can be put on your card to use at the following locations around campus and in town:

Parents: How to Add Mountaineer Cash to Your Student’s Card

Mountaineer Cash can be purchased by cash, check or credit card. You can deposit Mountaineer Cash at the following locations:

  • Online at the Mountaineer Card portal (credit or debit)
    • Click “Make a guest deposit” and enter the student’s Western email address
  • University Center PHIL Station (cash, credit or debit)
    • Located next to room 106 in the University Center
  • Taylor Hall PHIL Station (cash, credit or debit)
    • Located next to room 314 in Taylor Hall
  • Cashier’s Office
    • Call 970.943.3003 for credit or debit
    • Send a check by mail
      • Make check payable to “Western Colorado University”
      • Please include a note that reads, “I would like to add $(amount) to (student’s name or ID number) Mountaineer Cash account.”
      • Mail check to
        • Cashier’s Office
          Western Colorado University
          1 Western Way
          Gunnison, CO 81231

Mountaineer Cash rolls over from semester to semester and year to year.

Once you have deposited money onto your card, the funds can not be returned to you. Deposit wisely–you can always add more!

Lost Cards

  • Report a lost card as soon as possible in one of the following ways:
  • Any time: Sign in to the Mountaineer Card portal and click “Card Services.” You can deactivate a lost card here, or reactivate it if you find it.
  • Business hours: Stop by the Mountaineer Card Office in University Center 106.
  • Non-business hours: Call 970.943.2525 and leave a voicemail with your name and phone number.
  • First ID: free
  • Replacement of a lost or stolen card: $15
  • Replacement of a damaged card: $5 (you must present the broken card)
Terms and Conditions, Disclosure Statement

Please read the Terms and Conditions and Disclosure Statement. You agree to these statements when you receive your ID card.

Take the Next Step

Apply to

Apply to

We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.



The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.



We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.



Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.