FB Pixel Skip to Main Content
Western Student

Financial Aid

Apply for Aid

Scroll to bottom of section

Apply for Aid

Our goal is to make applying for aid as simple and seamless as possible. Below you’ll find a variety of resources to help you navigate how to apply for financial aid. If you have any questions or concerns, reach out to our knowledgeable staff in the Financial Aid Department at 970.943.3085 or finaid@western.edu.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Checklist

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available starting October 1. Students will use tax information from the previous year and should complete their FAFSA as soon as possible after October 1 to be considered for the most financial aid.

  • Create an FSA ID (separate for student and parent).
  • Fill out the FAFSA, available October 1. Priority deadline is March 1 (April 1 for current students).
    • School Code: 001372
  • Register for COF (if Colorado resident).
  • Accept or decline aid starting March 15.
  • Apply for Western scholarships here
  • Routinely check email and MyWestern for Financial Aid notifications.

Tips for Using Mobile App

You can now complete the FAFSA from your mobile device with the myStudentAid app. While the FAFSA app is convenient, it’s still recommended to complete the FAFSA on a desktop or laptop as it is easier to complete and more secure. Here are some tips in using the mobile app:

  • Download the myStudentAid app for Apple or Android.
  • Use a secure Wi-Fi connection.
  • Your info will save after you complete each section.
  • Sign the FAFSA with your FSA ID (a hand drawn signature in the mobile app is not valid).
  • Only one person can make changes to your FAFSA at a time. Be sure to sign out of the myStudentAid app if your guardian needs to sign in to add their info.
  • FAFSA Renewals are not available on the app.
  • You may be asked to complete the FAFSA online.

Western is committed to fostering a safe and accessible learning environment for all students regardless of immigration status. Undocumented students are encouraged to apply.

For more information, contact Financial Aid at 970.943.3085 or finaid@western.edu.

Si habla español, comuníquese con Alejandro Alejandre, 970.943.2043 or aalejandre@western.edu.


  • ASSET (Advancing Students for a Stronger Economy Tomorrow) is a Colorado law that allows qualifying undocumented students to be eligible for in-state tuition at any Colorado college. ASSET students are eligible to receive institutional and state financial aid, but not federal aid.
  • DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) is a federal policy that defers action on deportation for two years and gives eligibility for work authorization for two years for qualifying undocumented students. DACA students are not eligible for institutional, state or federal aid.
  • It is possible to qualify for both programs.

How to Qualify for ASSET

  • The student must have been enrolled for at least three years at a Colorado high school immediately preceding graduation or earning a GED.
  • The student must have been admitted to a Colorado institution of higher education within 12 months of graduating from a Colorado high school or earning a GED.
  • If a student graduated from high school or earned a GED before September 1, 2013 but did not get accepted into a Colorado institution of higher education within 12 months, they must provide proof of being continuously physically present in Colorado for at least 18 months prior to the start of the semester.
  • The student must submit an application for the College Opportunity Fund, including the affidavit for students without lawful immigration status.
  • FAQs are available from the Colorado Department of Higher Education.
  • You must complete the Colorado Application for State Financial Aid. More information can be found here.

A Step-By-Step Guide for ASSET Students

  1. Apply to Western.
  2. After being accepted to Western, contact Financial Aid to fill out an ASSET application. Students will automatically be considered for institutional merit-based financial aid after completing the ASSET application.
  3. Submit high school or GED transcripts to Western. If you are a transfer student from another university, provide proof that you were accepted to that institution within 12 months of high school graduation. If you graduated high school or earned a GED prior to September 1, 2013, provide proof of 18 months of continuous physical presence in Colorado by providing documents that show a Colorado mailing address.
  4. Submit an application for the College Opportunity Fund, including the affidavit for students without lawful immigration status.
  5. Submit an application for a Colorado Opportunity Scholarship Initiative grant.
DACA Students

Learn more about DACA or renew your request with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Take the Next Step

Apply to
Students pose for a photo on top of Mount Crested Butte in the summer

Apply to

We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.

Colorado Hall with the Palisades in the background on a bluebird day.


The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.

A group of four alumni look at a display of old photos on a table.


We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.

A few students pose for a photo behind a table.


Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.