Admitted Freshmen Checklist
Admitted students for the spring and fall of 2021, please go through the following checklist as you prepare to come to Western.
- Visit western.edu/activate to set up your MyWestern account. MyWestern is where you view financial aid information, class registration dates and much more.
- After MyWestern activation, another email will arrive with instructions on setting up your western.edu email address*. Your western.edu email is what you should use for official University communication.
*Be sure to check your spam/promotions folder if you don’t receive this email in your inbox.
Join the Mountaineer Nation 2025 Facebook group to connect with your classmates and gain tips on transitioning to college life. Our new page will be live in October!
Fall 2022 Admits: Beginning October 1, 2021, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Priority deadline for the 2022-2023 academic year is March 1, 2022
Spring 2022 Admits: Beginning October 1, 2021, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Priority deadline for the 2021-2022 academic year was March 1, 2021
Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern account. Financial Aid awards will be available beginning:
- Fall 2021 Admits: Mid-March 2021
- Spring 2022 Admits: Mid-December 2021
Visit Western’s Financial Aid page for additional resources.
Once you’ve made your decision to attend Western, you may submit your $200 tuition deposit. You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account. You can also pay your deposit by check or credit card with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.
- Note: Tuition deposits are non-refundable and only necessary for your first semester at Western.
Each incoming student is paired up with an Experienced Peer Initiating Connections (EPIC) Mentor. These students are upperclassmen who ensure all your university needs are taken care of. Your EPIC Mentor will be helping you through your first year at Western. Take full advantage of their experience, knowledge and use them as a resource for any questions you might have. Be on the lookout, they will be reaching out to you in the upcoming weeks!
- Fall 2021 Admits: EPIC Mentors will begin reaching out March 2021
- Spring 2022 Admits: EPIC Mentors will begin reaching out November 2021
- Pay the $200 tuition deposit and $250 housing deposit through your MyWestern account. You can also pay your deposits by check or credit card with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.
- Go to housing.western.edu to fill out your Profile with your preferred living style and roommate interests and begin matching with potential roommates. Or, if you already know who you want to live with, you can choose your own roommate by searching for them.
- Fall 2021 Admits: Begin Profile creation on March 3, 2021
- Spring 2022 Admits: Begin Profile creation on November 2, 2021
For questions on the housing process, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or email@example.com.
Students without ACT/SAT scores or transfer credit (AP, IB, concurrent/dual enrollment) that places them into math courses are encouraged to take ALEKS PPL. This is a math placement exam and the cost to take the exam is covered by Western. Students are allowed to take the exam up to five times and can find a link to ALEKS PPL in their MyWestern account starting March 15. If a student decides not to take ALEKS PPL and doesn’t have transfer credit, they will be placed into MATH 098- Beginning Algebra which is a pre-college, developmental course or MATH 105- Math for Liberal Arts which will fulfill the General Education math requirement. Your chosen major will determine your math pathway. For questions on ALEKS PPL, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
New students to Western are required to fill out a pre-registration survey. Below are the dates when the survey will be available to students:
- Fall 2021 Admits: Survey available May 1, 2021
- Spring 2022 Admits: Survey available October 26, 2021
For questions on class registration, contact the Academic Resource Center at 970.943.7056 or email@example.com.
Western requires that all incoming students take student success & healthy campus courses before they arrive on campus. The courses are: Alcohol Awareness & Prevention, Mental Well-being for Students, Diversity & Inclusion & Sexual Assault & Prevention. You will receive an email in your Western email account from EverFi at the following times with a link to complete the course.
- Fall 2021 Admits: Emails will be sent early July 2021
- Spring 2022 Admits: Emails will be sent December 2021.
For questions, contact the Office of LEAD and Orientation at 970.943.2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mountaineer Card is your official University ID. By uploading your photo after you’ve registered for classes, you will be able to receive your ID from your EPIC Mentor during a normally scheduled event at New Student Orientation. Otherwise, you will have to find a limited scheduled time to visit the Mountaineer Card office and have your picture taken and card printed.
After you’ve registered for classes, upload your photo. The login for this webpage is the same as your MyWestern. Once logged in, choose “Profile” to upload your photo.
For questions, contact the Mountaineer Card office at 970.943.2525, email email@example.com.
- New Student Orientation is required for all new students to Western. This program consists of important information about Western and the Gunnison community. Students will be automatically signed up for Orientation when they are registered for classes and will receive a confirmation email with additional details. Learn more about the program on the New Student Orientation page.
- Fall 2021 Admits: August 18-21, 2021
- Spring 2022 Admits: January 8, 2022
- Western also offers optional Wilderness Based Orientation (WBO) trips before the regular fall Orientation. Registration for WBO begins June 7, 2021. For more information, check out the Wilderness Based Orientation page.
For questions about Orientation, contact the Office of LEAD and Orientation at 970.943.2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Colorado law requires all students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine. If you live on campus, proof of meningococcal vaccine or waiver is required.
- Western will require students, faculty and staff to be vaccinated for COVID-19. Exemptions will be allowed for health, religious or other reasons. If you have any questions regarding this procedure or the COVID-19 vaccination requirement, please submit them via email to email@example.com.
- These forms are sent to you in a welcome email after you are registered for classes. You can also find the forms on the Student Affairs page. Forms can be faxed to 970.943.2254, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the address below with Attn: Student Affairs.
For questions about these documents, contact the Office of Student Affairs at 970.943.2232 or email@example.com.
- Submit your final, official high school transcript to the Admissions Office. This transcript must show your graduation date to be considered valid.
- Arrange to have any AP, IB, CLEP or college-level credit sent to the Admissions Office. College-level courses must be sent via official transcript directly from the college or university.
- IMPORTANT: Your financial aid will not be dispersed unless the Admissions Office receives your final high school transcript. Please make sure you submit it before your school closes for the summer.
If you have questions about your final transcripts, contact the Admissions Office at 970.943.2119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You will receive a paper billing statement by mail.
- Adding or dropping classes, changing housing or meal plans may affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account one business day after making any changes.
- Payment is due in full on or before the first day of classes, unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
For questions on your billing statement, contact the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003 or email@example.com.
- Incoming freshmen will be able to move into their residence hall on:
- Fall 2021 Admits: August 18, 2021 from 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Spring 2022 Admits: January 8, 2022 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
For questions on moving to campus, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.