Admitted First-Year Student Checklist
Admitted students for the spring and fall of 2023, please go through the following checklist as you prepare to come to Western.
You must create your MyWestern account and student email address before you can confirm your enrollment, sign up for housing, apply for institutional scholarships, and other critical enrollment activities.
- You will need your six digit student ID. You can find your ID in your application portal, the acceptance letter you received in the mail, or you can contact Admissions at 970.943.2119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Visit western.edu/activate. Use “stu######” (stu and your student ID) to create your account.
- Look for the email from email@example.com sent to the address you used for your admissions application with instructions on what to do next. Be sure to check your spam/promotions folder if you don’t receive this email in your inbox.
- You will receive important communications at your western.edu email – it is critical to check it weekly.
When you are ready to secure your spot at Western, submit your $200 tuition deposit.
- Pay online through your MyWestern account.
- Check or credit card with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Tuition deposits are non-refundable and only necessary for your first semester at Western.
FAFSA – Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Fall 2023 Admits: Beginning October 1, 2022, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Priority deadline for the 2023-2024 academic year is March 1, 2023
Spring 2023 Admits: Beginning October 1, 2023, fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Priority deadline for the 2022-2023 academic year was March 1, 2022
Check the Status of Your Financial Aid and Scholarships
Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern account. Financial Aid awards will be available beginning:
- Fall 2023 Admits: Mid-March 2023
- Spring 2023 Admits: November 1, 2022
Register for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) at cof.college-assist.org. After you are approved for COF, authorize the stipend to be applied to your account via MyWestern.
Visit Western’s Financial Aid page for additional resources.
After you have paid your Tuition Deposit, you can submit your $250 housing deposit through MyWestern or with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003 or email@example.com.
- Go to housing.western.edu to fill out your personal profile, including your housing and roommate preferences, and begin matching with potential roommates. If you know who you want to live with, you can choose your own roommate by searching for them.
- Fall 2023 Admits: Begin Profile creation on March 3, 2023
- Spring 2023 Admits: Begin Profile creation on November 2, 2022
- For questions on the housing process, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each incoming student is paired up with an Experienced Peer Initiating Connections (EPIC) Mentor. These are upperclass students who ensure all your university needs are taken care of. Your EPIC Mentor will be helping you through your first year at Western. Take full advantage of their experience & knowledge and use them as a resource for any questions you might have.
- Fall 2023 Admits: EPIC Mentors will begin reaching out March 2023
- Spring 2023 Admits: EPIC Mentors will begin reaching out November 2022
Visit your MyWestern Account to update your gender, pronouns, and/or used name. From the main menu, click on the Personal Information tab. Click on “Update Gender, Pronouns, and/or Used Name” and update accordingly.
Join the Mountaineer Nation 2027 Facebook group to connect with your classmates and gain tips on transitioning to college life. You can join the page by clicking here!
ALEKS is the Western math placement exam. You may take the exam up to five times and the cost to take the exam is covered by Western. The link to ALEKS will be in your MyWestern account starting on March 15
- If you have ACT/SAT scores or math transfer credit (AP, IB, concurrent/dual enrollment) you may submit those for placement into math courses.
- For questions on math placement and ALEKS , please contact the Academic Resource Center at 970.943.7056 or email@example.com.
- Submit your final, official high school transcript to the Admissions Office. This transcript must show your graduation date to be considered valid.
- Arrange to have any AP, IB, CLEP, or college-level credit sent to the Admissions Office. College-level courses must be sent via official transcript directly from the college or university.
- IMPORTANT: Your financial aid will not be dispersed unless the Admissions Office receives your final high school transcript. Please make sure you submit it before your school closes for the summer.
If you have questions about your final transcripts, contact the Admissions Office at 970.943.2119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
New students to Western are required to complete a pre-registration survey. You can access this survey through your MyWestern account. Below are the dates when the survey will be available to students:
- Spring 2023 Admits: Survey available November 7, 2022
- Fall 2023 Admits: Survey available May 1, 2023
For questions on class registration, contact the Academic Resource Center at 970.943.7056 or email@example.com.
*The $200 tuition deposit must be made before filling out the pre-registration survey. See step 3 for instructions on how to make your deposit.
Western requires that all incoming students take student wellness education courses before arriving on campus. The courses focus on alcohol education, sexual assault prevention, mental wellbeing & diversity, inclusion, and belonging. You will receive an email in your Western email account at the following times with a link to complete the course.
- Fall 2023 Admits: Emails will be sent early July 2023
- Spring 2023 Admits: Emails will be sent December 2022.
For questions, contact the Office of LEAD and Orientation at 970.943.2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Mountaineer Card is your official University ID. By uploading your photo after you’ve registered for classes, you will be able to receive your ID from your EPIC Mentor during New Student Orientation. Otherwise, you will need to schedule a time to visit the Mountaineer Card office to have your picture taken and card printed.
After you’ve registered for classes, upload your photo. The login for this webpage is the same as your MyWestern account. Once logged in, choose “Profile” to upload your photo.
For questions, contact the Mountaineer Card office at 970.943.2525, email email@example.com.
- New Student Orientation is required for all new students to Western. This program consists of important information about Western and the Gunnison community. Students will be automatically signed up for Orientation when they are registered for classes and will receive a confirmation email with additional details. Learn more about the program on the New Student Orientation page.
- Fall 2023 Admits: August 16-19, 2023
- Spring 2023 Admits: January 7, 2022
- Western also offers optional Wilderness Based Orientation (WBO) trips before the regular fall Orientation. Registration for WBO begins June 5, 2023. For more information, check out the Wilderness Based Orientation page.
For questions about Orientation, contact the Office of LEAD and Orientation at 970.943.2469 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Colorado law requires all students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps and rubella (MMR). At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine. If you live on campus, proof of meningococcal vaccine or waiver is required.
- Please submit your immunization records via the housing portal on the western.edu site here. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Office of Student Affairs at 970.943.2011.
- Registration with Selective Service is a federal law and is required by all males ages 18-25. As a student you must be registered to be eligible for FSA funds.
For questions about these documents, contact the Office of Student Affairs at 970.943.2232 or email@example.com.
Western Colorado University
Taylor Hall 301
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231
Sign up for the Books-To-Go Program or pick up all your books during your first week of classes at Western’s Bookstore located in the University Center.
For questions on textbooks, contact the Bookstore at 970.943.2156 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will receive a paper billing statement by mail.
- Adding or dropping classes, changing housing or meal plans may affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account one business day after making any changes.
Payment is due in full on or before the first day of classes, unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
For questions on your billing statement, contact the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003 or email@example.com.
Incoming first-year students will be able to move into their residence hall on:
- Fall 2023 Admits: August 16, 2023
- Spring 2023 Admits: January 7, 2023 from 9 a.m.-1 p.m.
For questions on moving to campus, contact the Residence Life office at 970.943.2101 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.
Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.