FB Pixel Skip to Main Content

M.A. in Education

Frequently Asked Questions

  • You complete your coursework online without sacrificing in-person, personalized support.
  • All your licensure courses apply towards a master’s degree.
  • As a licensure student, you will earn 27 graduate credits that will be recorded on an official college transcript by the end of the first year. Some districts will increase teacher pay for college credits past a bachelor’s degree).
  • Planning for your career success. You build professional relationships within your district. Our students often find jobs in the schools in which they complete their Residency.
  • At Western, coursework is continuously aligned around state and national quality standards, ensuring the relevance of your skills in the field.
  • You will have access to the latest online technologies to enhance your learning (e.g. model teaching streaming videos, voice interaction capabilities with peers and instructors, recorded instructor explanations with visuals, etc.)
  • Innovative (i.e. districts from around the state have adopted our mentoring structure to support their new teachers)

It is important to note that completion of one WCU’s education degrees makes a person eligible for a license or added endorsement. The Colorado Department of Education (CDE) is solely responsible for the processing and final approval of all Colorado teaching and administrative licenses.

Western’s Education Department is authorized by CDE, as well as the Colorado Department of Higher Education to provide teacher preparation coursework that leads to eligibility for an initial teaching license. Western is also authorized by these agencies to provide preparation towards principal and administrator licenses, as well coursework that leads to an added endorsement onto an existing teaching license. CDE is overseen by the Colorado State Board of Education, which creates rules in response to legislative statutes.

If you plan to complete your student teaching in addition to working as a paraprofessional/school assistant, you must complete a para guideline form as well as provide a schedule outlining how you will meet our residency requirements of 24 hours/week while meeting the demands of your job. Both the para form and schedule must be approved by the Education Department, your mentor, your principal and an HR School District professional prior to submitting your application. All forms must be completed and approved before your application will be reviewed. Please download and complete the form here.

We suggest that Residents reserve one day per week to focus on their coursework.

No. You must have an undergraduate degree before entering the program.
Yes. In addition, current teachers seeking to add an endorsement must log 135 hours/semester with that student population.

Yes. We can assist you in finding an out-of-state placement and many of our students have earned their licenses in states other than Colorado. Please note that teacher licensure requirements vary by state. This program is approved based on the State of Colorado Standards and after successful completion of our program, candidates are eligible for their Colorado initial licensure. If you are interested in earning an out-of-state license through our program, please contact us at ed_admissions@western.edu. We will do additional research into your specific state’s guidelines to see what the requirements are for licensure and whether our program would be a good fit.

No. Western does not arrange job placements. There are many great resources available that may help you in your job search.

Western has been accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools since 1915. This regional accrediting agency is responsible for accrediting degree-granting post-secondary institutions in a 19-state region.

Take the Next Step

Apply to Western

Apply to Western

We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.

Visit Western

Visit Western

The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.

Alumni Community

Alumni Community

We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.