Board of Trustees
(BOT) Efficiencies, Bylaws, and Policies Committee
Meeting THREE – Bylaws and Efficiencies Discussion (cont.)
August 26th, 2020
Time 9:00-10:00 am
To join the meeting please click here.
I. Call to Order by Chair
III. Continuing from previous bylaws discussion
a. Amend Sect. 3.12 re data privacy to reflect changes in the law
IV. Additional potential changes
a. Possibly adopt the idea of term limits for officers/change in duties of officers – Trustee Pribyl’ s suggestion.
b. Other – Trustee Oates suggestions:
• Section 1-6–President and University staff are required to maintain the Policy Manual/By-Laws. My question is should not the Policy/By-Laws be readily accessible to the public? In researching our current questions, I found it hard to access the information. I don’t believe it can be found on the WCU website.
• Sections 3-4 & 3-5–These Sections refer to Discrimination, Violence, and Sexual Harassment with a great amount of detail in process etc. and I question whether we should not request of the University staff to report to the board at least semi-annually all violations particularly since we are required under the Cleary Act to report on sexual harassment allegations on an annual basis.
Also, as we have done in the sexual harassment section identifying the primary University contact, should we not also identify the Affirmative Action Officer?
• Section 5-1 & 2 & 3– This is really a question of University compliance and should be addressed to staff but there are a number of CCHE/State reports required and I would assume these would also need Board review prior to submission. I don’t believe I have seen these reports particularly not in the way outlined in the by-laws which seems fairly precise. Only thing close to this kind of information in these formats is our current SAR project which would not meet all the standards outlined. Would you be as so kind to review Section 5 particularly the areas regarding academic affairs and outline a list of required reports for the CCHE/State and when and how often?
• Section 6-2–This is another compliance question. This indicates the Athletic department is to have an Athletic Advisory Board. My questions are
1. do we have one;
2. is it mandatory to have one;
3. what is their reporting responsibility?
• Section 6-3– The way I read this is that all Student Group funding flows through the Student Government Association. I don’t think that is the way it works as I believe a number of groups are funded directly. Is my interpretation correct? Have to ask Brad on how the money flows.
V. Request from Trustee Oates for Attorney Rich-Frederick’s input on the following
a. Controlling of firearms on campus by University staff and students and more importantly, visitors to campus.
b. Alcohol possession and consumption by particularly campus visitors
VI. Items carried over from Meeting ONE
a. Should we extend our meeting times by at least one hour or even more after the agenda is set so we make sure that we have time for thoughtful discussion?
VII. Approve the Minutes for Meetings ONE and TWO
VIII. Next Steps
a. Prepare recommendations report for board meeting including recommendations from all Three meetings of the Committee.
Requirements to amend the Bylaws are located at Art. I (PDF p. 14) and you must:
o Approve them by majority of voting membership;
o After written notice of at least 15 days to the trustees; and
o All amendments must comply with state [and federal] law
Requirements to amend the Trustee Policy Manual (TPM)are not as prescribed above, but Section 1.6 indicates that the President and University staff are responsible for the TPM.