Transferring to Western
We make transferring to Western a smooth process for you. If you have taken college courses after high school, you are eligible for admission to Western as a transfer student. We recommend a cumulative grade point average of at least a 2.3 on a 4.0 scale.
Application Requirements for Transfer Students
- Apply to Western.
- Request official transcripts from each institution attended and send to Western.
- Official college or university transcripts can only be sent directly from the institution or delivered through a secure online service (Parchment, e-SCRIP, etc.)
- If you have less than 24 credit hours* completed at the time of application, you must request your official high school transcript be sent to Western. Official ACT/SAT scores are optional.
*Dual enrollment, concurrent enrollment, AP/IB credits taken during high school are not counted in this total.
- Submit the $30 application fee (can be paid online with the application or with the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003).
Optional (if you feel your application may need extra support)
- An admissions essay
- A personal statement
- Letters of recommendation
- A resume
Keep in Mind
Entering transfer students are admitted with the expectation that they will benefit from the educational experiences provided by Western. Student’s applications will be assessed for:
- Evidence of academic progression
- Rigor of college-level courses
- Evidence of leadership
- Life experience affecting student’s overall academic record
All of the above criteria will be taken into consideration during our holistic review process.
Submit Application Materials to:Western Colorado University
1 Western Way
Gunnison, CO 81231
Western is on a rolling admission cycle. We accept applications throughout the year until classes are full. However, we recommend that transfer students apply before the following date so that they are as prepared as possible for the upcoming academic year.
- November 1, 2022, for spring 2023 applicants
- March 1, 2023 for fall 2023 applicants
You may check the status of your application anytime by using your self-service application portal. Typically, you will receive your admission decision two to three weeks after we have received all application materials. The transfer credit evaluation takes three to four weeks after being admitted to Western. Contact admissions staff for more information.
Western has several formally recognized transfer articulation agreements in place with other universities around the state, nation and world. Click below to read in detail about these innovative degree partnerships.
Colorado Community College System Transfer Agreements
Western has 20 transfer articulation agreements in place with several community colleges throughout the state. To view the individual agreements for programs, click the links below:
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.
Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.