Title IX/Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Policies
Title IX/Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Policies serve all members of the university community, including students, faculty and other academic personnel, staff employees, non-students or non-employee participants in university programs.
These policies strive to:
- Resolve and investigate complaints of sex discrimination and sexual harassment (including sexual assault) in a prompt and equitable manner.
- Provide prompt and effective response to reports of sex discrimination or sexual harassment in accordance with college policies and procedures.
- Provide a non-threatening environment for students or employees to report alleged acts of sex discrimination and sexual harassment.
Western Colorado University does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran status in employment or admission and access to its educational programs and activities. Title IX also requires that the college not discriminate in such a manner. The University is an equal opportunity institution for all faculty, staff and students.
* Please Note: This nondiscrimination policy shall not be interpreted or applied in a manner that conflicts with or subjects the University to penalties or ineligibility for funds under state or federal law.
“Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), co U.S.C. §§ 1681 et seq., and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities operated by recipients of Federal financial assistance. Sexual harassment of students, which includes acts of sexual violence, is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX.” 1
Title IX Administrator
The Administrator’s responsibilities include overseeing all Title IX complaints and identifying and addressing any patterns or systemic problems that arise during the review of such complaints. The Title IX Coordinator has ultimate oversight responsibility.
Taylor Hall 301
Eliminating Sexual Harassment and Discrimination
Western Colorado University seeks to eliminate sex discrimination and sexual harassment by:
- Awareness Education
- Orientation Workshops
- Residence Hall Programs
- Athletic Programs
- Providing Workshops to All Members of the Campus Community
- Forming a Sexual Harassment and Discrimination Committee
- Appointing a Title IX Administrator
- Providing a Safe Walk Program
- Establishing Specific Policies and Procedures
To see our Sexual Misconduct Policies, click here (or see pg. 52 in our Handbook).
PACT5.org – Preventing Sexual Assault on College Campuses
PACT5 is a national movement to prevent sexual assaults and rapes in colleges. What is different about PACT5 is that it believes the documentary form, when produced by students, can create powerful stories that can change potentially tragic behavior patterns. Students are the ones who can make a difference in the minds of other students.
Complete and submit the forms below to report Title IX/Sexual Misconduct or Bias Violations. These submissions are confidential and will be reviewed by Shelby Schuppe, Title IX and Student Conduct Coordinator. You do not have to include any personal or contact information, but you may request to be contacted for a follow-up discussion if you wish.
Learn about consent, sexual assault, how to prevent it, and how to get help.
More information on CONSENT can be found here.
1Office for Civil Rights, United States Department of Education. “Dear Colleague.” Letter. 4 Apr. 2011. MS.
What is Title IX?
“Title IX” refers to Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and its implementing regulations. Title IX states…
When to contact the Title IX Administrator
You should contact the Title IX Administrator if you feel you’ve been the victim of sexual harassment (which includes sexual violence)…
Title IX Response Resources
See a valuable list of local Title IX resources.
Procedural Response to Sexual Misconduct
See a list of procedural responses to sexual misconduct.