Accepted Graduate Student Checklist
Welcome! As you prepare for your first year of graduate studies with Western Colorado University, please complete the following checklist:
- Activate your MyWestern account using your Student ID (stu######). Your Student ID number will be your username.
- Your password will come to you in a separate email once you start the activation process.
- Your @western.email address will be issued upon activation of your MyWestern account. Visit https://login.microsoft.com/?whr=western.edu to to log on to your email. Use your email address as your username with the same password that you used to log into MyWestern. If you have not done so already, enroll in the Password Reset Tool.
- Consider setting up email forwarding.
- The GPCW, MBA, MS Ecology, and MEM programs require you to submit a non-refundable $250 tuition deposit to reserve a spot in the incoming cohort. The HAEP and MBS program requires you to submit a non-refundable $150 tuition deposit to reserve a spot in the incoming cohort. You can submit your deposit through your MyWestern account by selecting Student & Financial Aid Menu > Pay Bill or Tuition/Housing Deposit > Items for Purchase, Tuition Deposit. You may also pay your deposit by check (payable to “Western Colorado University”), or credit card by contacting the Cashier’s Office at 970.943.3003.
- If you are a MA in Education or Gallery Management student, complete the Intent to Enroll Form to reserve your spot in the incoming cohort. You are NOT required to submit a program deposit.
Review your options for financing your graduate education.
- Fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at fafsa.ed.gov. Western’s school code is 001372.
- Summer 2023 admitted students: complete 2022-2023 AND 2023-2024 FAFSA applications
- Fall 2023 admitted students: complete 2023-2024 FAFSA application
- Check the status of your financial aid and scholarships and accept/modify/decline student loans through your MyWestern Account.
- Visit Western’s Financial Aid Tools page for additional Financial Aid resources.
- NOTE: International graduate students are not eligible for federal Financial Aid.
The Mountaineer Card is your official University ID. By uploading your photo after you’ve registered for classes, you will be able to receive your ID from your EPIC Mentor during a normally scheduled event at New Student Orientation. Otherwise, you will have to find a limited scheduled time to visit the Mountaineer Card office and have your picture taken and card printed.
After you’ve registered for classes, upload your photo here. The login for this webpage is the same as your MyWestern. Once logged in, choose “Profile” to upload your photo.
- If you will be attending a program on-campus (MEM, HAEP, Ecology, MBS) you are required to submit Immunization records. Colorado law requires students to show proof of immunity against measles, mumps, and rubella. At a minimum, students must have completed the first MMR immunization before classes begin. Medical and religious exemptions are allowed. Students who plan to reside in on-campus housing may also want to consider receiving the meningococcal vaccine. If you live on-campus proof of meningococcal vaccine or waiver is required.
- These forms are sent to you in a welcome email after you are registered for classes. You can also find the forms on the Student Affairs page. Forms can be faxed to 970.943.2254, emailed to email@example.com or mailed to the address below with Attn: Student Affairs.
- If immunization records are not complete by registration for your second semester, a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to register.
- Missing items will appear on your checklist when you log in to MyWestern.
- If you were admitted to your program before completion of your undergraduate degree, please have your institution send your final, official transcript to the School of Graduate Studies immediately after your undergraduate degree is conferred.
- By electronic download: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By mail:
Western Colorado University
118 Quigley Hall
1 Western Way
Gunnison CO 81231
- You will receive one paper billing statement by mail a month before classes begin.
- Adding/dropping classes MAY affect your account balance. Check your current account balance through your MyWestern Account one business day after making any changes.
- To view information regarding, Add/Drop and Withdrawal dates, click on the link.
To view information regarding Refunds of Charges for Drop and/or Withdrawal courses, contact the Financial Aid office
- NOTE: The Refund of Charges information refers to drop and withdrawal dates based on a 16-week semester. If your graduate program operates 12-week or 8-week courses, contact the School of Graduate Studies for information regarding a refund.
- Payment is due in full on or before the first day of the term unless you set up a W-Pay Payment Plan.
- A $50 late fee charge may be place on any graduate student’s tuition account who does not pay their on time or who has not set up a W-Pay Plan by the time tuition is due.
- Pay your bill and enroll in e-Refund online through your Inside Western Account.
- Please see Western’s International Student Services page for additional information and resources.
Important Phone Numbers
|Graduate Studies Office||970.943.2125|
|Student Affairs Office||970.943.2232|