Sociology Club and AKD (Honor Society)
Anyone with an interest in social issues is encouraged to join these clubs to engage in academic and social activities outside of the classroom.
- Homecoming Parade – we participate (and sometimes win an award!) every year
- Film Nights – watch a film, talk about it with cool people…and popcorn, of course
- Food Pantry – we organize highly successful “food drives” to help our local community
- Annual Club BBQs and Club Fairs
- Hope Fest – volunteer work for Project Hope and other local non-profits
Sociology Club is a student organization meant to engage students in academic and social activities outside of the classroom. Members of the club organize special events for campus, plan trips for Thanksgiving and spring breaks, attend professional conferences with faculty and involve themselves in other activities.
Anyone can join! President, Vice President, Treasurer and Secretary positions are elected by club members each fall.
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Jackie Gabriel firstname.lastname@example.org
AKD (International Honor Society for Sociology Undergraduates)
What is AKD?
Alpha Kappa Delta (AKD) is a society of scholars (undergrad, graduate and professional) who promote excellence in sociology, conduct research on social problems and involve themselves in other activities that attempt to improve the human condition. AKD was founded in 1920 and is affiliated with the Association of College Honor Societies. There is a one-time membership fee of $40 for those eligible to be inducted.
What are the benefits of joining AKD?
- AKD helps fund student academic paper competitions and student travel to conferences
- AKD funds guest speakers to campus
- AKD supports the Undergrad Research Symposium, held annually in early March
- All members receive a subscription to the academic journal Sociological Inquiry
- Members receive official recognition of achievement for resumes or grad school applications
Members may opt for an AKD honor cord to wear at commencement!
What are the membership criteria for AKD?
- Officially declared Sociology major or minor
- Junior or senior status in good standing
- Overall GPA of 3.3 or above (or “top 35 percent” ranking in your graduating class)
- Sociology GPA of 3.0 or above for courses taken at Western
- Completion of at least four courses in Sociology prior to initiation
Contact Matt Aronson, faculty advisor for AKD, email@example.com or 970.943.7126
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.
Want to discover more about Western? Request information today to get in touch with the admissions team.