Rocky Vista University Early Acceptance Program
Western and Rocky Vista University College of Osteopathic Medicine (RVU) have partnered to create an Early Acceptance Program, granting provisional medical school acceptance for Western students.
How It Works
- Western students apply for provisional acceptance to RVU—without needing to take the MCAT.
- Western conducts a preliminary round of interviews and sends letters of evaluation to RVU for final decisions. Up to five Western students may be accepted.
- If accepted, students are assigned an RVU student mentor and visit campus, sitting in on classes and taking a study skills assessment. Students also have the option of participating in RVU medical service trips and other community service opportunities.
- Shadow a physician (preferably a Doctor of Osteopathy)
- Complete between 60 and 90 credit hours (at least 30 at Western)
- Complete certain Biology, Chemistry, English and Communications credits
- Have a science GPA of at least 3.4
- Demonstrate leadership and service commitments
- Apply by November 1
To remain in the Early Acceptance Program, students must:
- Meet with Western’s Health Professions Advisor, Emily McMahill, at the end of each semester
- Complete certain Biology and Physics credits
- Maintain a science GPA of at least 3.4
- Demonstrate continued commitment to leadership and service activities
- Submit an AACOMAS application designating only RVU before January 1 of their graduation year
- Submit a deposit of $2,000 before Jan. 1 of their graduation year
- Not receive any disciplinary action
Western Required Courses
- BIOL 150 Biological Principles (with laboratory)
- BIOL 151 Diversity and Patterns of Life (with laboratory)
- BIOL 310 Cell biology
- CHEM 111 General Chemistry I
- CHEM 112 General Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHEM 113 General Chemistry II
- CHEM 114 General Chemistry Laboratory II
- CHEM 331 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 334 Organic Chemistry Laboratory I
- CHEM 332 Organic Chemistry II
- CHEM 335 Organic Chemistry Laboratory II
- ENG 102 Academic Writing
- COM 202 Academic Writing and Inquiry
RVU Required Courses
- BIOL 372 Human Anatomy & Physiology I (with lab)
- BIOL 373 Human Anatomy and Physiology II (with lab)
- BIOL 312 Genetics (with recitation)
- PHYS 170/171 or PHYS 200/201 Principles of Physics I/II or General Physics I/II
- At least one additional higher level course (options include microbiology, molecular biology, developmental biology, biochemistry)
Reach out to Emily McMahill, Pharm.D. for more information.
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.