This spring semester, some Western courses will transition from Blackboard to Canvas learning management system. By summer 2020, all classes will use Canvas.
Students should confirm with their instructors whether they are using Blackboard or Canvas this spring.
All students will have access to Canvas, even if their courses are still using Blackboard. Students enrolled in Canvas pilot program courses will see their courses listed on their Canvas dashboards.
Canvas provides several valuable tools:
- The user-friendly mobile app allows students to comment on discussions, message classmates and instructors, and upload assignments. Download the Canvas app in Google Play or Canvas in the App Store.
- 24/7 online support is accessible via the Help menu. Both call and chat features are available.
- Office 365 OneDrive integration lets students upload assignments directly within Canvas.
- The calendar feature shows due dates for assignments that instructors have entered. Students can view these by the week or month, or as a to-do list.
- Students may view a list of upcoming course requirements on the Canvas dashboard.
Any interested student may begin learning about Canvas by viewing the materials on Canvas’ guide to getting started.