The Western Student Government Association
The Student Government Association’s mission is to better serve the students and make sure that all students are involved with the decisions we make.
The Student Government Association (SGA) acts as the official voice of the Associated Student Body and protects the rights and privileges of the student body. The SGA is responsible for the allocation of more than $350,000 in student fees. Please feel free to review the Constitution and By-Laws and provide feedback.
SGA encourages all students to attend the General Assembly meetings. For the 2023-24 academic year, these meetings will be hosted in the University Center South Conference Room or via Zoom on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. (Please email SGA@western.edu for a link that will allow you to virtually attend).
2023-24 SGA General Assembly
- President: Kyla Engleman
- Vice President for External Affairs: Leah Taylor
- Vice President for Internal Affairs: Mikaela Turner
- Treasurer: Townes Bakke
- Secretary: Jazz Tanner
- Council for Creative Expression Director: Parker Borszich
- Inter Club Council Director: Laura Morfitt
- LEAD Ambassador: Reece LeCompte
- Multicultural Center Director: Myia Dantzler
- NCAA Athletics Director: Laura Pelion
- Program Council Director: Lyndsey Gaddy
- Residence Life Ambassador: Emma Berg
- Sustainability Ambassador: Ellie Jeffrey
- EPIC Mentor Ambassador: Vacant
- Campus Recreation Ambassador: Jayda Nix
- Honors Ambassador: Linnea Baldner
- Senate Chair: Vacant
- Rex Hauptman
- Jessica Hickey
- Morgan May
- Sadira Reinstar
- Nate Rengo
- Finnegan Twete
- Jacob Tyburski
- Tom Wieliczko
Student Government Association funds bills based on the following criteria:
- A direct connection to the student body must be evident by a student representative of the bill.
- Evidence of lasting impact on campus, be that within a club, the student body or the school overall. The participating students should experience a benefit that will promote their individual growth.
- The bill must align with the missions of the requesting entity and Western.
- The purpose of the money must be an example of responsible spending.
Interested in SGA funding?
If you are interested in funding for programs, please fill out the SGA Bill Allocation Form so a bill can be written by an SGA Senator. Bills will be first presented at the SGA Advisory Meeting and then voted on by the SGA Senate.
Click here to see the SGA Constitution, By-Laws or Western’s Institutional Plan for Student Fees.
If you have exceeded your 600-page printing allotment for the semester, fill out our Printing Request Form and contact a member about attending our next meeting to petition for more pages.
Interested in joining SGA? Western is experiencing many changes and with them it is essential to have strong student leaders who represent the entire student body in continuing to move forward. Western’s SGA thrives on improving not only the Associated Student Body, but the Gunnison Community; however, change can only happen through you!
Based on your interests and passions, you will have the opportunity to interact with students and members of the Gunnison Community. As a member of SGA, you will be one of the students who has the opportunity to vote on important issues that could affect your peers. With this in mind, there is a great sense of satisfaction with all of the work that you will do. While the tasks may not always be easy and are often time consuming, being a part of Western’s Student Government Association will result in new friendships and important contacts throughout the University and Gunnison Community.
There are two types of positions on SGA are:
- Elected positions: President, VP for External Affairs, VP for Internal Affairs, Senator
- Appointed positions: Treasurer, Secretary, Campus Recreation Ambassador, Council for Creative Expression Director, EPIC Ambassador, Honors Ambassador, Inter Club Council Director, LEAD Ambassador, Multicultural Center Director, NCAA Athletics Director, Program Council Director, Residence Life Ambassador, Sustainability Ambassador
- Must be a full-time (12 credits) student in good standing with the Office of the Registrar. Student cannot be on academic probation.
- Per SGA By-Laws, students running for elected Executive Board positions (President, VP Internal, VP External) must have served on SGA for one term.
- Most Advisory positions require that the student is participating in the respective organization or program.
If you would like additional information or to see the by-laws with job descriptions, please contact SGA at firstname.lastname@example.org
Take the Next Step
Apply to Western
We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.
The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.
We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.