Welcome to the Mountaineer Field House
The Mountaineer Field House Fitness Center will open to all users on Thursday, Jan. 13, 2022. Again, this brief closure was essential for our professional staff and student managers to establish the safest environment for our patrons to return to recreational activity in the MFH. The Climbing Wall will open on Monday, Jan. 17, 2022; prior to winter break, our climbing wall staff was preparing for our annual high school climbing competition which included completely stripping the wall of all climbing holds. Unfortunately, the event has since been cancelled but we’ve now been given the opportunity for a completely new spread of routes to be constructed. Please carefully review the information below as we welcome folks back to the MFH on Thursday.
Appropriate face coverings will continue to be a requirement in all areas of the MFH. We cannot stress the importance of mask usage enough as it is one of the best ways to protect oneself and others while within the facility. Violations to mask usage policy will result in immediate dismissal from the building and potential termination of MFH membership.
Good news patrons! The MFH will be open regular hours throughout the week and weekends during Western’s remote learning. Regular hours can be found at the bottom of this communication. Please carefully review the ‘Reservations at the MFH’ section below to understand how reservations will coincide with our regular hours.
- In order to use the MFH, patrons will need to book a reservation ahead of time through the application IM Leagues. Reservations will be required to use the MFH. Patrons must make reservations ahead of time, up to 24 hours in advance. Reservations will be available on IM Leagues by 3:00 p.m. on January 12th, 2022.
- IM Leagues is available in desktop form or in mobile app form – available for download through the App Store, Google Play, etc.
- For a step-by-step guide on how to make reservations through IM Leagues, please read our MFH Reservation User Guide which also includes pertinent reservation considerations in the MFH.
- Each reservation session is 1.5 hours long. After each reservation session ends, a 30-minute closure will allow individuals to vacate the MFH and staff to sanitize and set up for the next reservation session.
- The MFH will open for regular hours with reservation sessions scheduled to start every 2 hours. Please see the table in our MFH Reservation User Guide and in our Newsletter Communication via email for a visual representation of our weekday/weekend reservation session schedule.
- Patrons will sign up under two types of reservations: ‘General MFH Use’ and ‘Climbing Wall’. Under a ‘General MFH Use’ reservation, patrons will be able to use the Fitness Center, Activity Rooms 1 & 2, and the Indoor Track space. Activity Room 3 (indoor cycling) is being repurposed during this time. Please note that other reservation types are visible on IM Leagues (i.e. each ‘Activity Room’ or ‘Open Track’). Please do not attempt to make a reservation under these types as they are inactive and will have no options available. Only use ‘General MFH Use’ or ‘Climbing Wall’.
- The ‘General MFH Use’ reservation will have 35 available spots per 1.5-hour session. ‘Climbing Wall’ reservations will have 10 available spots per 1.5-hour session. Please note the following capacity limits for specific areas within the MFH. Signage will be posted and MFH staff will be monitoring capacities.
- Fitness Center = 28 patrons
- Activity Rooms 1 & 2 = 8 patrons
- Climbing Wall = 10 patrons
- We strongly encourage patrons to make reservations online ahead of time, up to 24 hours in advance. Patrons may be able to create a reservation in-person at the Front Desk but only if there are spots available in the desired session.
- We strongly encourage patrons to arrive at the start time of their reservation. Patrons can arrive at any time during their 1.5-hour reservation however, know that at the end of the designated reservation session, all patrons will be required to leave the facility regardless of amount time they have personally been present.
- Patrons can sign up for back-to-back sessions if they would prefer more time in the MFH. To do so however, slots in the back-to-back sessions must be available; patrons must create an additional reservation for their second session if they wish to do so. Patrons that are signed up for back-to-back sessions will still be asked to leave the facility during the 30-minute reset period.
- Reservations sessions are likely to fill at certain times throughout the day. In the event that all available spots are filled for a session, a patron will be waitlisted; if a spot becomes available, the patron will automatically be added to the session based on their queue status on the waitlist.
- If patrons have additional questions about reservations, feel free to contact Jeff Sladewski, Asst. Director of Campus Recreation at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 970.943.3363.
We again want to reiterate our appreciation of the community and its trust, patience and passion in these ever-changing times. We will continue to distribute information about the MFH as it becomes available. We are working diligently to ensure the safety of each patron and cannot wait to see everyone back in the MFH!
Thank you, Mountaineers!
– The Campus Recreation Team
General Fieldhouse Information
The Mountaineer Field House opened in 2014 as a state-of-the-art exercise and wellness center. From morning’s first light to long after dark, the 65,000-square-foot facility is a major hub for student life and many athletic organizations.
The Mountaineer Field House offers everything from three mirrored group fitness rooms to three multi-purpose courts for basketball, volleyball, pickleball and more. It also has an in-ground trampoline and foam pit, batting and golf-practice cage, as well as a throwing cage and jumping pit for field events.
In addition, the field house offers a 5,844-square-foot Fitness Center made available to conference guests and persons with memberships for both day-use options and group events. And at 7,717 feet, the 200-meter indoor track is the highest collegiate indoor track in the United States.
Monday – Thursday: 6 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Friday: 6 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Monday-Thursday 6 a.m.-10 p.m.
Friday 6 a.m.-8 p.m.
Saturday-Sunday 2-8 p.m. –>
Please contact the front desk at 970.943.2110 or visit our Facebook page for extra details and the most up-to-date class schedule. *************************
Standard Facility Closures 2021
|Jan. 1||CLOSED (New Year’s Day)|
|Jan. 2-3||6-9 a.m., 4-7p.m. (Winter Break)|
|Jan. 4-5||8 a.m.-12 p.m. (Winter Break)|
|Jan. 6-10||6-9 a.m., 4-7 p.m. (Winter Break)|
|Jan. 11||Academic Hours (Spring Semester Starts)|
|March 15-19||CLOSED (Spring Break)|
|June 18||CLOSED (Juneteenth)|
|July 5||CLOSED (Fourth of July)|
This student-designed, 43.5-foot wall boasts 3,114 square feet of climbing space.
Whether you’re sending one of our 13 leadable routes, practicing on two free-form cracks, learning multi-pitch skills on our rappel platform or climbing for the first time, our climbing and bouldering wall is unparalleled on any college campus.
Monday – Thursday: 2:30 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Friday: 2:30 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Saturday & Sunday: 4 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Interested in Working at the Wall?
Come by the Field House front desk for an application!
Top Rope Climbing Skills Test and Orientation
All climbers who wish to use the roped wall must pass this skills test and orientation. If you’re a new climber and want to take an introductory course to indoor climbing, please register for an upcoming course with Wilderness Pursuits.
Lead Climbing Skills Test and Orientation
All climbers who wish to lead climb must pass this skills test and orientation. If you’re new to lead climbing and want to take an introductory course to lead climbing, please register for an upcoming course with Wilderness Pursuits.
Climbing Wall Orientation
All users who enter the climbing wall area must either complete or have completed the Climbing Orientation, this orientation teaches safety and general space awareness for all users.
Curious about becoming a member of the Mountaineer Field House?
For Western Faculty and staff, please sign up through your MyWestern account. For community members, please click HERE.
|Member Type||2021-2022 Membership Rates||Day||Month||Semester||Year||Summer||Punch Pass|
|All-Inclusive membership options||Allows access to batting/golf cage, climbing wall, equipment rentals, field house courts, Fitness Center, group fitness classes, indoor track and Aquatic Center||10-day passes|
|Limited Membership Options|
|Aquatic Center||For more information about Aquatic Center passes and prices, please call 970.943.7117. All passes for the pool are available for purchase at the Aquatic Center only.|
Frequently Asked Questions
Q – Who is eligible for membership?
A – Current Western students registered for at least 6 credits, current Western Faculty, Staff and Emeritus, current Sodexo employees and Western alumni, as well as spouses, partners and dependents of any of the above people. In addition, community members without any direct affiliation are eligible.
Q – Can community members buy memberships?
A – Yes.
Q – What is included with an unlimited membership?
A – Members have access to the Aquatic Center, batting/golf cage, climbing wall, equipment rentals, field house courts, the Fitness Center, group fitness classes and the indoor track.
Q – Can my child climb on the Western climbing wall?
A – Parents must accompany children under the age of 14. Our wall was designed and the routes are set for college-aged individuals. We do not have auto-belays, children’s harnesses or children’s shoes and our wall is not appropriate or safe for small children.
Q – How do I purchase a membership?
A – Please complete our Membership Form and Waiver and return it to the Front Desk of the Mountaineer Field House.
Q – Can I talk to someone about membership options?
A – Yes! Please contact the Mountaineer Field House Front Desk at 970.943.2110.