KWSB 91.1 FM provides experiential learning for Western students in a state-of-the-art production facility. Come visit us in Taylor 124A.
LISTEN LIVE TO KWSB 91.1 FM! Tune in
Students learn to operate digital sound production equipment, produce news and sports features, develop musical programs, do live broadcasts of sporting events and develop many other essential media production skills.
A noncommercial, educational station licensed by the Federal Communications Commission—KWSB has received many coveted Colorado Broadcaster Association first place awards in small market competition throughout its existence. KWSB is now heard around the world via streaming audio. This means students at Western can develop their programming skills for a global audience.
As a graduate of Western, you will use your KWSB experience to gain work in a variety of media related professions or gain entry to advanced degree programs in media fields.
“I believe that my networking skills that I attained at KWSB 91.1 FM as the RPM Director have helped me with promoting myself and getting involved in the Korean DJ scene.”
– Josh Damon, English Teacher and International DJ (South Korea)
“My experience in the COTH Program at Western has been a framework for understanding the dynamics of a broadcasting organization. The diversity of classes helped me to transition smoothly into the many diverse tasks of working at a station.”
– Julie M. Taylor, KLTT 670AM Denver, Colo.
How to become a DJ
Want to be a DJ?
- Contact the KWSB Trainer.
- Take a tour of the station, receive the official KWSB Training Handbook.
- Sit in on a manager’s show.
- Take the DJ test.
- Record a “sim show.”
- Live broadcast with a manager sitting in.
- You’re a DJ!
If you want to join the management side of KWSB, contact the KWSB Station Manager.
As a member of the KWSB team, you can:
- Play music live on-air
- Deliver announcements to the community
- Produce stingers, PSAs, underwriting spots, shows
- Write and deliver news
- Review new music
- Promote the station on campus and in the community
- Broadcast Western athletic events (football, women’s and men’s basketball)
Want to be a sports broadcaster?
We broadcast Western’s Football, Women’s Basketball and Men’s Basketball. If you are interested in being a sports broadcaster or want assist in the studio during broadcasts, contact the KWSB Sports Director.