B.A., University of Colorado Boulder, Environmental Studies and Ecology &Evolutionary Biology
How did you discover Western?
My parents met each other while both attending Western back when it was “Western State”. Following in their footsteps, I moved to Gunnison in 2019 to enjoy a few years of being a ski bum while also getting my Master’s in Environmental Management (MEM) degree. After finishing graduate school, I was very honored to have been asked to stick around and teach courses, passing my knowledge down to a future generation of outdoor leaders and environmental stewards.
What are some of the highlights of your career?
- Starting a career in applied natural resources management and environmental stewardship.
- Worked for about ten years in recreation-based parks and open space management, and then as a consultant in the mining regulation industry.
- Successfully leading about 500 days of trail and forestry work for seasonal parks and recreation crews.
- Working as a certified snowboard instructor and facilitating education based on my favorite pastime.
- Re-launching the Western ROE mini-mester study abroad program and leading a successful pilot course in the Ancash Region of Andean Peru.
What most excites you about your field?
My favorite aspect and teaching, specifically for ROE is facilitating transformative learning experiences so that the students can step into their roles as well-rounded outdoor professionals. I also really enjoy learning from the students!
What is your favorite thing about the Gunnison Valley?
I love the community of like-minded individuals and organizations, as well as the various avenues to enjoy the outdoors in both leisure and adventure-based contexts. You can’t beat the skiing and biking in the valley!
- ROE 283: Leadership & Facilitation
- ROE 351: Inquiry into Sustainability
- ROE 397: Peru Eco-Adventure
- ENVS 100: Introduction to Environment & Sustainability
- ENVS 390: Environmental Monitoring
- ENVS 397: Mining Reclamation
- ENVS 400: Environment & Sustainability Capstone
- BIOL 130: Environmental Biology
- BIOL 151: Diversity and Patterns of Life Lab