Brooke is beginning her 14th year in the Education Department at Western Colorado University. Over the years she has built and taught a variety of different courses, most on scientifically based reading and writing research practices. She has also been instrumental in designing and building the M.A. in Education: Reading Leadership Track as well as the M.A. in Educator Effectiveness program. In addition, she serves as our program’s Curriculum Coordinator.
Although a Colorado native, Brooke spent her childhood moving all over the world as an “army brat.” She and her husband have a daughter, LauraAnne, who will be a sophomore at Western Washington University in Bellingham, WA, and a son, Drew, who will be a senior at Pacific University in Forest Grove, OR., this fall. Their family enjoys skiing, traveling, fly-fishing, rafting, and camping.
Raising literacy achievement of all students through the implementation of scientifically based reading research programs, assessments, and instruction. Response to intervention, professional learning communities, project-based learning, online learning and results-based curriculum, instruction, and assessment.
Undergraduate and Graduate Faculty, Western Colorado University, 2006-present
Responsible for developing and teaching the following undergraduate courses:
- EDUC 400: Foundations of Literacy: Phonology and Linguistics, EDUC 401: Assessment for Prevention and Intervention, EDUC 402: Reading Comprehension, Oral and Written Language Development, EDUC 408: Teaching Writing with the Brain in Mind
Responsible for developing and teaching the following graduate courses:
- EDUC 600: Foundations for Literacy Development, EDUC 601: Methods and Strategies of Effective Reading Instruction, EDUC 602: Literacy Assessment Informed Instruction, EDUC 685: Assessing, Evaluating, and Instructing At-risk and Struggling Readers, EDUC 686: Literacy Coaching and Mentoring, EDUC 688: Reading Teacher Internship, EDUC 689: Reading Specialist Internship
Educational Consultant, Gunnison, 1995-present
Independent consultant for K-12 school districts, schools, and state/national committees. Topics include: Reading, Writing, MTSS, Response to Intervention, Online Learning and Teaching, Assessment, Standards, Portfolios, and Integration.
- National Literacy Consultant for ELEducation (formally known as Expeditionary Learning) Specializing in K-5 Language Arts program
- Colorado Early Literacy Grant Consultant at Hotchkiss Elementary School through Growing Educational Practices
- Colorado Department of Education Master Scorer responsible for determining master scores for teaching videos using the Colorado Teacher Quality Standards
- Colorado State Department of Education Literacy Content Reviewer responsible for reviewing teacher education programs throughout the state to ensure alignment of courses to scientifically based reading research
- Colorado READ Act Interim Assessment Review Committee Member
- Colorado H.B. 1223 Literacy Challenges: Dyslexia State Level Committee Member
- Colorado Literacy Council Member, Colorado Department of Education
- National Reading First Higher Education Consortium (NRFHEC) member; 1 of 15 Higher Education faculty selected nationally to serve as a consultant to the NRFHEC
- Online content designer and builder for nonprofit: Successful Practices Network, funded by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the International Center for Leadership, Inc.
- Reading Consultant for Gunnison Elementary School. Action Research Project: “Raise literacy achievement of K-6 students through the implementation of scientifically based reading research programs, assessments, and instruction.” Led school in developing and implementing a school-wide reading delivery system to raise achievement for all students. Included 90 minutes of research-based core program and instruction, a daily 30-minute intervention reading block, a screening, progress monitoring, and outcomes based school wide assessment system, weekly and monthly teacher data meetings to discuss progress and make changes to instruction as needed.
District Literacy and Assessment Coordinator, Montrose County School District, CO
Responsible for district literacy and assessment implementation and coordination.
- Provided instructional leadership in literacy and assessment at the district level for 13 schools, included support of six literacy coaches
- Assured district alignment of support programs: ELL, Title, SPED, GT, as related to literacy and assessment
- Ensured coordination of district assessments: NWEA-MAP, CSAP, DIBELS, BEAR at each school
- Oversaw implementation of district Read to Achieve and Reading First grants
- Managed three annual budgets totaling: $817,000
Reading First Project Director, Olathe Elementary School, Olathe
Responsible for implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of the Colorado Reading First program at Olathe Elementary School (population 550, 48 percent Hispanic, 206 ELL students).
- Worked with principal, coach and staff in managing and analyzing assessment data to monitor student progress and accelerate reading achievement
- Created a three-tiered complete reading delivery system to meet the needs of at-risk readers including English Language Learners and Special Education students
- Provided training in scientifically based reading research strategies, programs, and assessments
ADDITIONAL EDUCATOR EXPERIENCE
- Literacy Coach, Olathe Elementary School, Olathe, CO
- Site Coordinator 21st CCLC After School Program, Olathe Middle School, Olathe, CO
- Reading and Writing Instructor: Olathe High School, Olathe, CO
- Teacher, Pueblo School for the Arts and Sciences, Pueblo, CO