- Ph.D., University of California Santa Cruz
- B.A., Pomona College
- Igneous & Metamorphic Petrology
- Research in Volcanology & Petrology
- GIS & Remote Sensing
- Planetary Geology
- Plate Tectonics
- Economic Geology
My research and teaching interests include all aspects of igneous petrology and volcanology. Since coming to Western my students and I have had many projects on the igneous rocks of the Gunnison Basin. These projects include:
- the petrology and geochemistry of the old Precambrian island arc exposed south of town;
- petrology and volcanic structures in the large Oligocene ash flow sheets from the San Juans exposed around Blue Mesa Reservoir;
- petrology and volcanology of West Elk Volcano;
- petrology and geochemistry of the Gunnison Laccolith cluster that makes up the high peaks north of town, including Crested Butte;
- petrology and geochemistry of the Miocene flood basalts that makeup Flat Top, Red Mountain, Grand Mesa etc.;
- petrology and geochemistry of the post ash-flow (Hinsdale) shoshonite and latite lavas exposed on the north slope of the San Juan volcanic field.
- petrology and geochemistry of Tomichi Dome.
Virtual Field Trip:
- Geologic Map of the McIntosh Mt. Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Little Soap Park Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Almont Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Gunnison Quadrangle
- Geologic Map of the Signal Peak Quadrangle
Recent Student Projects:
- Brian Coven, Absolute Age and Petrographic Analysis of the Inception of the West Elk Volcanic Field, Gunnison County, Colo.
- Ryan Murphy, Mid-Tertiary Intrusives of the West Elk Mountains, Gunnison County, Colo.
- Jeff Jackson, Ash Stratigraphy in the Cochetopa Caldera Moat, Cochetopa Park, Saguache County, Colo.
- Andrew Wood, Petrology of Miocene Lava Flows on Flat Top Mountain, Gunnison County, Colo.
- Alex Csar, Interfingering ash flow tuffs comprising Tenderfoot Hill; Gunnison County, Colo.