FB Pixel Skip to Main Content


Work-Study FAQs

Work-Study FAQs

How do I find a work-study job at Western?

To find a work-study position at Western, follow the steps below.

  1. Search work-study job listings in Handshake, or contact a department directly to inquire about open work-study positions.
  2. Once you find a position that interests you, follow the instructions to apply. Students may be required to interview for a position, as they would with an off-campus job.
  3. Once you have completed your work-study contract, turn it in to Financial Aid, located in Taylor Hall 314.
  4. If you are a new student employee, you will need to provide your passport or an original copy of your social security card, birth certificate and your driver’s license as part of the verification process.

How do I find my work-study status and contract?

In order to determine your work-study status, you can find and print your contract by following these instructions:

  1. Log into your MyWestern account
  2. Click on “Financial Aid”
  3. Click on “Eligibility”
  4. Select your current academic year, then click “Submit”
  5. Click on “Student Requirements”
  6. Click on your work-study contract to print

It is important to note that if you are awarded work-study on an “award letter,” it does not guarantee that you will be placed in a job, or that you will earn the amount listed.

What is the verification process required for work-study?

You will need to provide your driver’s license and original social security card or original birth certificate or a passport for I-9 verification. Student employees will also be required to complete a W-4 at the time of hire

How much can I work?

The amount listed on the contract is the maximum that you are eligible to earn. As a Western student, you may work a maximum of 20 hours per week.

How do I enter my time online?

Student workers track their time with Western’s Online Time Clock.
As a student worker, you are expected to manage your timesheets, located in your MyWestern account. You should review your hours at the end of every pay period. You can also use MyWestern to make adjustments to your time sheet.

How will I be paid?

As an undergraduate, you will be paid hourly and on the last business day of each month. You may be paid with either a check or a direct deposit into your checking account.

Who can I contact with other questions?

If you are in need of assistance, please contact Financial Aid. If you would like more information or have additional questions about the work-study program, contact Paula Giavasis.

Western Colorado University is an equal opportunity educator and employer.

Take the Next Step

Apply to Western

Apply to Western

We understand that applying to a university can be daunting, which is why we make our admission process as simple and straightforward as possible. Learn more about applying to your program of choice at Western.

Visit Western

Visit Western

The best way to find out what makes Western such a special place is to experience it for yourself. Our student-led tours give you an insider’s perspective on everything from academics to student life.

Alumni Community

Alumni Community

We keep the Mountaineer spirit going strong within our alumni community. Whether getting together with friends at an annual event, making a donation or mentoring a student, graduates continue to play an important role in the Western community.