Providing the highest quality research administration
The Office of Sponsored Programs and Grants partners with faculty, staff and students to provide the highest quality research administration at all stages of sponsored projects. The office can identify funding sources through award closeout, promote responsible stewardship of funds or advise on sound management practices.
Meet Our Team
Our team is organized to efficiently accommodate the needs of researchers, project directors and sponsors. Grants, contracts and cooperative agreements between Western Colorado University and federal or state agencies, and private foundations, are administered and managed by the Director of Sponsored Programs in Academic Affairs and the Grants Manager in Finance and Administration.
The Director of Sponsored Programs is the primary liaison for faculty, staff and students, funding agencies and administration to ensure all interests are represented and protected with each request submitted. The Director of Sponsored Programs is the federally authorized organizational representative (AOR) and is responsible for submitting all applications.
Resources and technical assistance to faculty and staff in the identification of funding sources at the local, state and federal levels, planning, preparation and submission of the proposal and post-award management are all supported by the research administration team.
In accomplishing its mission, the Office of Sponsored Programs:
- Provides assistance to the principal investigator (PI) or project director (PD) with interpretation of policies, regulations and guidelines applicable to particular projects.
- Assists in locating potential funders, sponsors and partners.
- Procures any necessary Requests for Proposals (RFP’s), guidelines and application forms.
- Advises in the preparation of proposals including: standard forms to be completed; compliance; assurance forms; institutional data; budget preparation; indirect costs; and evaluation.
- Partners in program design and development by providing editorial services, reviewing draft proposals and budgets to ensure compliance with university regulations and agency policies,
- Provides strategic advice on internal and external review procedures and promotes timely and positive sponsor interaction.
- Ensures seamless research administration from proposal development through timely award closeout.
- Maintains a grants data base of all Western grant activity.
- As the Authorized Organization Representative (AOR), submits all hard copy and electronically submitted grants via Fastlane and Grants.gov. and provides re-submittal support.
- Assists in the procurement of funds from the Indirect Cost Incentive Fund.
The Western Colorado University Office of Sponsored Programs is responsible for submitting proposals requesting support for research and other scholarly projects to funding agencies. Resulting awards are made to the institution, and the Office of Sponsored Programs administers them on behalf of faculty and staff at Western. Faculty and staff members who direct sponsored programs are responsible for effective implementation of these projects in accordance with sponsor guidelines.