September 21, 2011
Minutes for September 21st, 2011
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
· Raleigh approves minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
· D’Andre motion to add senate chair
· Nick: Motion to add spirit week
IV. Guest Speaker
V. Action Items
· Senate chair
o Adam: Give me the ability to expand leadership skills communication abilities.
o Alan: Value position, and would like to do more, avid to push things and a good communicator, always around, progress in school and future
o Erika: Been in SGA 3 years, respond quickly, organized get stuff done!
o Walker: Returning SGAer, enjoy opportunity to be helpful.
o D’Andre: The reason I’d like to be senate chair would be a good opportunity to expand my leadership and SGA is a great opportunity
· Vote via paper
o Adam is the new senate chair
VI. Discussion Items
· Pay for PC assistant director
o Stephanie is the assistant director of PC, teamed up and gained structure from PC, role being on student council through bylaws, assistant goes to meeting when Elijah cannot make it.
§ Haleigh: would you be willing to add office hours?
§ Elijah: any questions about position, ask now, she has done good things for Western.
§ Stephanie: for less involved director’s, the assistant has an important role.
§ Nick: This is no attack, just want to see who the 75$ stipend is going to and their role.
§ Alan: what specifically have you done to promote growth within the PC.
§ Stephanie: this is my 2.5 year, and there was no structure and nobody was held accountable, once I stepped up I proposed we have more structure and have office hours. I redid the handbook from 2005, regular member who don’t pay have office hours. We distribute a lot of work, where everyone in PC has a role. If Elijah can’t get something done, he can contact me. I took on WinterFest, and that was my idea, where Elijah was my assistant.
§ Sarah: Would you be comfortable performing 3 SGA hours a week.
§ Stephanie: I would be more comfortable with 2 but I would be willing to do 3 but it will be hard with schedule.
§ Adam: Could she be more visible for SGA and only do a few in PC and a few in the SGA office.
· Retreat Debrief
o Haleigh: Thought the retreat was huge success as building as a team. Things to discuss: attendance, for those who missed, who aren’t the newly elected senators, this is considered an unexcused absent. Talk to Haleigh later if you had valid schedule conflict.
o Nick: Changing meeting structure, instead of every week having both discussion and action items, we would separate these to do one every other meeting, ie. Discuss one meeting, the following meeting we would have an action meeting, and so on, unless something needs to be voted on urgently. Allowing senators two weeks to speak with constituents. This isn’t anything that’s set but it’s open for discussion.
o Alan: Senate discussed this and we feel comfortable with this new structure to get the right stuff done.
o Adam: How would we put in an action item during an off-week.
o Nick: We can just do a special session, special action session for 10 minutes at the end. That’s how we could do it, and mold it to make it ours. Trying to make senators to make smart, thoughtful decisions. In constitution we should bring it 2 weeks early.
o Chase: Motion to make 1st and 3rd meeting each month action meeting.
o D’Andre: second
o Roll Call vote: If you’d like to change meeting say “yay” or “Nay”, or “abstain”
o 100% passes, new meeting structure, starting next week with a discussion week.
· Spirit week
o We are in charge of setting up sprit week for homecoming and picking themes. Panic for homecoming. One more day for sure, and develop new ideas.
§ Plant a tree day-sparkling cider, sustainability “Mother Earth Monday”
§ Maddie: Bring it up at coalition meeting to see what comes up at that.
§ Chase: How many trees are we planting?
· Just one, 4 o’clock pm
§ Tuesday we have nothing! Perhaps “superhero day”
§ Adam: Monday, ride your bike to school too! A lot of campuses call it ‘one less car day’
§ Wednesday we are setting up a meeting with Greg White, We R Western Wednesday, highlighting club sports, “Club Sports Pep Rally” All clubs wearing jersey’s, put on an event where people can meet the athletes.
§ Thursday “Booty Bash” in Ute, “Academic” Club appreciation day, Tshirts to signify what club your in, Give paper to clubs, and have them represent themselves to make a patchwork blanket. If clubs don’t want to do it, they don’t need to be involved.
· What’s a booty bash?
· It is pretty much just a dance, dance contest. 8pm next Thursday in Ute Lounge.
· Where can clubs get paper?
· In Sga office. When would you want it in? Next Wednesday, use SGA markers and supplies
§ Friday “Powder Puff Game” Vandenbusche wants to push it off several weeks to address campus, and make it a bigger deal. We know we can have fields, and work with intermurals to get flags. Lots of faculty help. If we have the makings let’s get it done by next Friday. Sign up on intermural website. Scheduled for 4pm, and bonfire 9pm later and rededication for alumni.
§ A lot of girls are excited so we should push for this next week.
§ When is the deadline?
· Encourage to start practice Wednesday, might as well take sign-up’s till Thursday.
· “(Talk) Nerd(y) (to me) Tuesday”?
VII. Advisor Report
· A couple of thing, Dr. Helman sent out conversations from board of trustees meetings last week. Every month board of trustee meeting, first on list recruitment and numbers, and general fund an another shortfall. Adam is looking to change state to University. Should Western change College to University? Invited faculty and staff to discuss a name change to be competitive, in college center ballroom next Tuesday. Alumni was upset when this first came up, they know they was (Western Colorado & University). Discussed cost of this, and may cost over .5 million. $20 for a new diploma, which is a lot. Want to separate themselves from community college title. Vinotok this weekend, not all about a drunken party, there is a lot of history to this program and it is a pretty interesting event. Please do not drink and drive, lots of cops, and stopping people for drunk tests. There may be a bus or shuttle coming back to gunny later. Mt. CB unlimited chair rides and zip line for welcome to western $10 on Saturday around 11am. Cheerleaders car wash Saturday 10:30 at Gunnison Bank & Trust.
VIII. Senator Reports
· Erika: Tomorrow Amigs’ is having movie and a blanket on Taylor lawn, watching “RIO” Wear red to the booty bash!
· D’Andre: two meetings next week to go into residence hall to speak with freshman and RA’s to talk about homecoming.
· Kayla: Bingo at 7pm this Friday at Elks Lodge
· Alan: CB Ski premier video
· Brad: Spoke with mountaineer media, teach about film directing and editing for students in COTH major and beyond. They are working on an online television show and a film to submit to festivals. Christian group on campus and want to put meeting times on board (wed. 7pm)
o Also a resource for clubs to make videos.
· Katie: Ski Premier video, buy tickets online @ Freeskier and Powerstop.
IX. Committee Reports
o Parade-Parade Marshall, Dr. Vandenbusche. Maybe Cindy Drexel, or the Mayer or Dr. Hahn. We have tables and chairs ready they will be in truck Friday night. Help Haleigh unload truck. President Helman will be in the parade. Stress clubs to get involved.
§ What do we tell clubs, 2 sentences, info will need to get to Mark or Haleigh and coordinate lining them up and be at Taylor and Georgia at 9:30am.
o Lighting the “W”-meet quickly after this meeting, looking good.
o Bowl Decorations-We’ve been ordering supplies and talking about tailgate before game, set to have a car bash at same time.
o Publicity & Royalty-Hopefully everyone has voted, had great success for voting with faculty and staff. Nobody said they absoloutly hated it. Moving forward, final nominations after this week. Order crowns! Meet with everyone from committee.
o Bonfire- Waiting on music from music dept. Waiting on parade marshall as well. Everything else has been taken care of. Fire Dept. brought diesel last year and starts it. Play school fight song to start out fire. Go with PC to DJ for this year.
o Float-Everbody has assigned duties, making actual float is difficult, small enough for royalty nominations to sit on float. One academic number and the other crimson and slate.
o PR/ADHOC- Good to go on PSA’s and produce some news before everyshow with a schedule of events, waiting to hear from KBUT. Still wanting to get posters up, especially in CB for alumni and students living there. Go to Residents hall to chat. Open for suggestions.
§ Elijah: Flyer issue, graphic designer for PC and big printer, will cost but there can be a discount.
§ Nick: could we make a commercial for royalty? A commercial that has a few people acting like Vandenbusche talking about homecoming, audio only.
§ Blake: Maybe not just Vandenbusche, may sway votes.
§ D’Andre: If anyone would like to join brad and I going to res. Halls please join, club sports info and games send to DAndre and Brad with this info.
§ Adam: Link on Western website for SGA. Western.edu/SGA
o Academic Policies Committee: Student representative’s are there. Deal with a lot jargon. Changing the academic year, suggestion to make Thanksgiving a week-long break. New laws were put forth for accreditation cover bases so that we don’t get a warning to have a 3wk summer session with 2 5wk sessions, although runs very close to academic semester. Different ways to report student reports, maybe an online system so students don’t have to approach teachers each week. First year experience, and freshman year class ‘how to do well in college’ question whether or not to offer for credit, to keep student retention.
o Constution committee just met, a few pages at once, 7pm October 23rd on Sunday.
X. Advisory Reports
· Sarah: Board of trustees, discussed name change. A new mountaineer in front of Taylor, 9ft high made by an alumni, at 5:30 next Friday, rededication and powerpuff at 4pm.
· Nick: City council had a budget meeting only. Importance of homecoming is important. Check and respond to emails, so we don’t have to meet all the time. Good job team.
· Grace: As you continue to spend for homecoming get Grace receipts. Program planning class for money, hopefully they come for next week, pay day Sunday.
· Blake: Tomorrow football team taking of playing 1pm Saturday, 7pm home volleyball game, XC meet at Van Tuyl park by Middle school. Women ranked #1 in country, and men are ranked #2. Tuesday night volleyball game 7pm faculty appreciation game.
· Travis: Kickball and ultimate Frisbee coming up, starting 3rd and 4th respectively. Sign up online.
· Hayden: Bike team out of town this weekend. Only club sprt home is Rugby, playing fort lewis 1pm Saturday by McD’s.
· Elijah: October 1st Taylor auditrium 7pm band playing. PC SGA co-sponser meet. SGA allocated a small part. Any one interested in joining committee? Go over applications and questions to help fine tune events.
· Noah: Tuesday bike meet that was filled, this weekend intro to mountain biking in CB.
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· D’Andre: Spoke with Rob Whiting about some things gunny PD will be implementing bike safety starting now, also has a group of HS kids looking for volunteer hours, so if we need any extra help let D’Andre know.
· Nick: Starting a tradition of having an SGA picture in office and update web page. Take photo after next week’s meeting.
o Business casual and We R Western shirt’s next week.
o Kayla: Motion next Wednesday we r western shirts next week (Everyone passes) No denim with holes.
· SGA dinner after homecoming
XIII. Late Roll Call