November 2, 2011
Discussion Agenda for November 2nd, 2011
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
· Motion to approve minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
· Move to add WSC running club bill-second
· Motion to move items to discussion
IV. Guest Speaker
V. Action Items
· Ashley Ofria-Paper allocation request. Not here hopefully next week.
VI. Discussion Items
· Emily Virzi-Sustainability Proposal-The environmental studies class the applied sustainability class this year has come up with a purchasing plan to help support the plan. An SGA endorsement. Grace has the plan herself. Essentially it covers how WSC chooses to purchase things such as lights interior and exterior and monitors for longer-term things for three years. Saving water and for water conservation, toxins and pollutants, bio-based products, trying to eliminate stereo foam from campus, proper disposal of all technology, considering landscaping and packaging. A letter of support was given to Haleigh. Any Questions?
o Noah: Has SAC approved it?
§ They are in the process of approving this. By using a grant-writer process would add an educational experience to the project.
§ Copies of the letter and plan will be emailed out to everyone and we can discuss that next week.
· Avalanche Awareness Seminar Bill (Adam sponsor)-Matt Hamilton and a classmate are in 398 class and they are sponsoring and planning an avalanche awareness class for the community, brings a sense of accomplishment. It will help the entire Gunnison valley since Colorado has the unstable snow in the country. This will help educate citizens. Seeking out some sponsorship with some local companies.
o Two prominent speakers confirmed, from institutes of Avalanche studies, all proceeds go to mtn. rescue team. Contact a few other sponsors. The event is in two weeks, and many no responses; a lot of money from sponsorship is going to advertising.
§ Are you promoting that this is enough to go out in the backcountry? This should not be the message.
§ Amanda says she will bring a slip for discount for courses, contacting Tom Murphy. Bring awareness to people to have an understanding that this is serious and they can’t just go out and do whatever they want.
§ Bradly: How many incidents are there in a year from avalanches?
· Upward of 10 in Colorado alone
· At least 18 in our area apparently
§ When is your event?
· November 17th Thursday 6-9pm. Pizza might draw some people from the community.
§ Is this more for the community?
· Mostly for college community, but opening it up to everyone. A lot of people from CB will go to the class there. It will be largely college students, North and South Ballroom in College Center
§ Overemphasize hazards. Afraid of a false sense of knowledge.
· There are good guest speakers who are well educated in the industry. Kids will go out there anyways, might as well give them some knowledge
§ Break into two rooms, south ballroom, and main, break group into beginning and intermediate to curtail specifically to each skill level.
§ You mentioned selling the pizza (student fees, campus events)
· No one brought that to our attention
§ Discuss this, and budget meeting next week, discuss and vote in our next meeting.
· WSC Running Club- (Rodney sponsor) Jordan and Will here, aka the militia, sent four athletes to nationals last year, hopefully will send three runners and coach to nationals.
o You guys talked about sending the coach, this can’t be used.
§ Jordan is the coach, and regardless she will be going. Since our club doesn’t have major funding, Jordan is a volunteer, and only one old enough to drive a rental car.
o Are you seeking other funding?
§ Vandenbushe has donated some money depending what they get from us. Running club isn’t totally popular among student population.
· Vandenbushe met with club sports today
o Are you a recognized club?
o How do you qualify?
§ There was supposed to be a regional team out in Denver. But there are only a couple teams, they canceled the regional race, so we get to go to nationals by default.
o Vote next week.
VII. Advisor Report
· Tomorrow last day to withdrawal with a ‘W’ by 5pm in registration. Sedexo starting to sell pizzas from Sedexo, call mad jacks and order for pick-up. Pay downstairs and pick up upstairs. Advertisement next week. Start Wednesday November 30th, price pizzas locally, going towards Mario’s pricing, $12.79 cheese, etc. Get more information next week.
VIII. Senator Reports
· Erika-November 14th PSA is going to host a freestyle battle, during the day there will be a pie fundraiser. At the event, we will start with a pie-eating contest and sell pies as well. 6pm Ballroom
· Sara-November 4th 5pm Kenney Frost is coming in Quigley recital hall Ute perspective in 2012
· Brad-Issue in Taylor with new sound stage, in limbo and no funding. Cost money to run stage. Looking into several options. Are constituents a good word to use? Maybe a more inclusive word.
IX. Committee Reports
· Constitution committee got a lot done last week, a couple weeks.
· New marketing committee just established. Please join! SGA being marketed.
· Nick-exec wanted to continue to report; team-bonding night spoke with Corey last night, and backwards on college night. Two weeks from now discuss going directly from here to the community pool. Finish up reviews in the next week or so.
X. Advisory Reports
· Sarah- Board of Trustee’s met last week. Send out report. Started with faculty in discussion and the Jay and then Sarah, said what we said in the meeting, students are indifferent, we are indifferent. Board of trustee had similar opinion, November 9th they will decide whether or not to move forward. Discuss budget shortfall, we were budgeted 500K less than we thought. A similar picture across the state. The financial accountability plan and adjustments because of shortfall. Discuss more in January. There will not be a crazy increase in tuition. They want to meet with students and have a better relationship with the board of trustees. Clarity brings power. Recreation center and field house is going over interior design and branding.
o Yes there will be an increase in tuition, but this is an at all higher-end institute.
o Walker: prop 103 didn’t pass for higher education in Colorado
· Nick-Last night at city council met for over three hours. Finished up budget last night, and interestingly, they bring counselors on campus to help recruit and city council heavily contested it. Ended with funding it this year, and never do it again. Important that we need retention and recruitment. Wanted us to discuss 10K that are for internships for Western State College of Colorado students in the city of Gunnison. They can get in with advertising, the school system, or accounting, amazing opportunity for students. Lastly, the department of parks and wildlife are combined now and looking for a new regional headquarters, Montrose, Gunnison, or Durango. They decided not for here, because it is too cold etc. They are sending a rebuttal to have a national headquarters in our county would be great for the school and community.
· Grace-reiterate club sports funding, and we then decided we didn’t have enough money, and they also got money they didn’t think they need the money. Total after sponsoring the bills from last week, if we spent roughly half per semester we would have $815.
o Summer stipends
§ Sarah approves it and president and both VP’s and treasurer were allowed a stipend but Nick refused his.
o Spring semester has more bills than fall semester
o Constitution by laws outlines rules for our lack of funding.
· Meg-Word horde had a successful slam-day. Other high schools are starting slam poetry groups. Tomorrow night Mocha’s 7:30. Shipwrecked pay-performing November 10th Taylor studio
· Blake-Friday women’s volleyball playing New Mexico highland. XC team in Denver for regional championships. Western New Mexico Volleyball
· Travis-Things are going great, dodge ball started last night. Registration closed early. Floor hockey starts next weekend, and seven teams signed up, up from last year
· Hayden-women’s hockey at Colorado College.
· Aurora-Sex positive hosting speed dating at 10pm in rare air after the film fest.
· Noah-This weekend we have intermediate mountain biking trip in Fruita. Next weekend we have our free ski and snowboard clinic, how to keep your equipment conditioned. Next week we have our film-fest, door opens at 6pm Wednesday. Dress up as a chicken.
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Shelley-chocolate behind Nick for everyone
· Erika-Amigos has a dance next Thursday 10:30-11:30 80’s theme in the ballroom. BUY TAMALES! YUM.
· Sarah-Email about occupy Western campaign, they aren’t directing this movement in any particular way. Feel free to participate
· Travis-Feel free to join the ping-pong tournament.
XIII. Late Roll Call