September 8, 2010
Minutes for September 8, 2010
I. Roll Call
· Travis Elliot
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
· Jeff Sellen
· I am a faculty member in the environmental studies department. There is an event on Friday from noon to 2. A church in Florida is going to burn the Koran. I have a friend who organized something against this at his college and I would like to do something similar here at Western. I sent an email to faculty members here and many are interested. We want to do some type of event to challenge that church. We will be reading from only the Koran at the fire pit outside the college center. It is not religious, we are just practicing our rights of the first amendment. We are setting up slots for people to come read. I have a number of faculty , but I really want students to be involved. Please spread the word to your constituents. Please email me firstname.lastname@example.org if you’re interested or any other students, or sign up on my door at Kelley 108. The time may be extended. Another even that will be going on is the peace vigil. This will be at the park by Sugahs at 5:30 on Friday night.
V. Special Topics
· Motion: Grace
· Second: Rachel
VI. Advisor Report
· Last day to drop is today. Next week on Tuesday from 1:00-1:45 in the North conference room is a “talk about sex”. WSC will be doing a good neighbor program the week before homecoming on Monday September 20.
· Second: Devon
VII. Committee Reports
· Election- Elections started this week and voting will be on Monday at noon. We are going to put up bios of students online of those running for a position.
· Constitution- Next meetings will be October 11 at 8pm, November 15 at 8 pm, and December 6 at 8 pm in SGA office
· Budget- our meeting will be Monday at 6pm by the fireplace in the college center
· Motion: Ciera
· Second: Rachel
VIII. Advisory Reports
· Sabret- Our second meeting is this Tuesday. Volleyball has three games this weekend: 7pm Friday and 9 am and 5 pm Saturday night. Football is off and cross country is running at CSU.
· Jamie- Club fair was a big hit, we’re encouraging floats for all clubs.
· Noah- Past weekend we had sea kayaking and white water kayaking. Both were amazing. This weekend we have intro to rock climbing. We had to call in for extra vans because we had so many people sign up. WP is meeting at 5pm tomorrow night.
· Elijah- September 23 we have a comedian in the ballroom at 6pm and local bands will be playing after. We have a table up for spring fest- voting for our headliner band. Vote for your choice, there are lots of different artists. WRAP is putting on an open mic night on September 17 at the fires outside the college center from 9 to midnight. They will be putting on yoga every Sunday at 8pm (times change). September 22 WRAP is also having a diving competition 8 pm, and that night breakfast for 1 buck from 10-midnight. It was very successful last time! They want to have this every Friday and Saturday in October and will also have 30 min shows going on. September 15 the movie 300 will be playing in the ballroom at 9pm.
· Intramurals (Sarah for Travis)- We have 11 softball teams and 13 football teams. In the fall we don’t have as much participation, but we do have well over 200 students involved.
· Stephanie- I met with director of the dining hall, Don Cody. Rare Air Café has gone a lot more sustainable and nutritionally balanced. There is a lot more info on nutrition posted at each station. Rare Air and the sustainability coalition are working on earth tap. It will be a 3 week trial run.
· Angie- We had our first meeting yesterday. It’s very exciting there is a lot going on. Art league walter Philips thru sept 21 new one on sept 23- will unveil new bronze statues. Top of world is doing well. Papers will be out at 7am every Thursday morning. If you have any ideas or stories submit them to email@example.com. Word horde is at 7pm at mochas tomorrow night. Buddy Wakefield will be here September 27 at Quiggley at 7:00 pm with a $7 admission charge. Residence life is putting on a BBQ outside Shavano.
· Lauren- We received the actual numbers for student enrollment and it is higher this year which gives us more in student fees than we budgeted for. We will discuss what to do with them. With t-shirts we will have $5000 left in operational budget and $8000 in bills.
· Sarah- At the executive committee meeting for the new field house we narrowed it down to 6 contractors. We will have the architect decided by Tuesday.
· Jesse- There was a workshop meeting at the city council meeting I attended. There is a sustainability conference tomorrow from 12:30-4:00 in Aspinall Wilson Center. They are asking a $10 donation. The ESS BBQ is tomorrow from 12:30-1:30; bring your own plates and utensils.
IX. Senator Reports
· Brian- none
· Devon- sustainability bill
· Haleigh- I talked to someone in Kelley hall to get the board in the second hall moved to the first hall. She will check to see if that works. Good job senators on boards.
· Ciera- none
· Grace- Can I put a calendar white board on my bulletin board? Shelley: Ask Svea.
· Rachel- none
· Motion: Rachel
· Second: Brian
X. Discussion Items
· Homecoming Committees
· Parade- We will be meeting Thursday at 2pm in SGA office. Jamie: Halley was in charge last year, do the clubs register their float with me this year? Sarah: Yes can you be in charge of that? Jamie: Yes. Tell them to email me.
· Lighting of W- We haven’t met yet.
· Bowl decorations- We are meeting tonight when this is done.
· Alumni- Has not met yet, but will tomorrow at 1:45 pm in SGA office.
· Float- Meet in office tomorrow at 7 pm; bring car to meeting.
· Bonfire committee- none
· Publicity- meeting right after
· New senators- Sarah: You are running unopposed in race, but please stay after so I can talk to you.
· Motion: Ciera
· Second: Grace
XI. Action Items
· Propose new Constitution
· Sarah: “Union” changed to “college center”, “arts and humanities” changed to “CCE”. Big one: page 6 rules for election: changed to online, take out voting tablet, written ballots- now it’s all online. Secretary was originally a part of advisory committee but now moved to executive committee. VP of External is now added to more committees. Article 9 sect 4- “appointed new member” will be taken out.
· Lauren: Neither VPs are required to be on budget committee meeting. Why?
· Sarah: What do you guys think? Should we add them?
· Shelley: At least VP of internal.
· Jesse: I think both.
· We added VP External to new committees to be aware of everything going on.
· Angie: On page 8 under budget committee, capitalize “creative”
· Haleigh: When it says that students must bring ID when voting, does this still apply?
· Sarah: We will change it to students just needing a valid ID number.
· Motion to vote: Sarah
· Second: Grace
· 6 yes and 0 no. Constitution passes
· Devon: Bill for a funding request for the AASHE Conference in Denver
· Devon: This is Ryan and Kirky with the committee for the year of sustainability and they propose a bill which I will be sponsoring. Bill states: (insert bill) 1229 dollars is the final total.
· Jesse: Have you already registered for the conference?
· Kirky: Yes. We were hoping to be reimbursed, and we were able to get some hotels donated. We will stay 2 nights; Sunday and Monday night.
· Sarah: Are you asking $1229 from SGA, or is your club giving some of the money?
· Ryan: Yes, because we already paid the rest.
· Lauren: Have you thought of other fundraisers?
· Kirky: I heard ESS deptartment has extra money from alumni, and I want to talk with them.
· Ryan: Other money we could get is from the sustainability action committee. They said they could possibly give donation, but they haven’t met yet.
· Kirky: We want to go because we are all presenting at this conference. We will be presenting with the LEAD office too. It will be a 45 min presentation and is a great opportunity for us. This conference will allow us to mingle with other students involved with sustainability on other campuses, and allows students to collaborate about ideas and initiatives. There are also several “how to” workshops and discussions.
· Ryan: Because it is in Denver, it makes the trip cost a lot less and is hugely beneficial.
· Kirky: We didn’t sign up for a lot of workshops so that we could save money, but there are many free ones from people all over the US and Canada.
· Ryan: We couldn’t give you a copy of all the workshops because they are not out yet.
· Sarah: Are you planning on talking here at Western?
· Ryan: I didn’t think about it, but yes that’s a good idea.
· Lauren: What are you presenting on?
· Kirky: We have a poster about the year of sustainability; what worked and what didn’t. We will also be talking about how we incorporated this into orientation. There will be a panel setting with questions and answers from audience. Dakota and Ian will be talking about the garden on campus.
· Shelley: Can past SGA member explain this process of proposing bills?
· Jamie: We hear the proposed bill, discuss with them and then speak with constituents to hear what they have to say and then discuss and vote again at the next meeting.
· Shelley: Ryan and Kirky are invited to the budget committee meeting on Monday at 6:00 pm. Next Wednesday, senators will let all of SGA know what their constituents say. Base your vote on what the senators hear from the students. Senators will vote next week. Remember, you can suggest a change in the proposed bill budget. Each senator needs to talk to 30 senators
· Rachel: Do you guys have money from any other sources?
· Kirky: We have 5 students who are not paid for, and we are still trying to get money from the sustainability committee.
· Jami- When is this conference?
· Kirky: October 10-12.
· How big is this conference?
· Kirky: It is a national conference in Denver at the convention center.
· Lauren- What would you do if you couldn’t get all funding?
· Ryan: Pay out of our own pocket.
· Kirky: Most of the food for the weekend is already paid for in the registration fee.
· Jesse: Do you have to pay to present?
· K: It’s included in the $100 fee.
· Jesse: Senators talk to your constituents about this bill.
· Motion: Rachel
· Second: Angie
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Stephanie- When do I ask for new Senators to be on a committee?
· Sarah: Tonight after the meeting.
· Devon: Will the new senators be filling committee spots or taking already filled spots?
· Sarah: Probably both.
· Lauren: We had the idea of paying certain positions for their work over the summer; like Elijah. The treasurer is budgeted to be paid, but I didn’t do anything so can I give it to him? We also talked about dividing the pay for VP of internal between Sarah and Jesse because they had to do extra work. This has already been allocated so it won’t be out of our budget. Think about it and we will talk next week.
XIII. Late Roll Call
· Travis (excused- intramurals)