December 1, 2010
Minutes for December 1, 2010
I. Roll Call
· Travis, Ciera, Brian, Walker
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
· Lee and Christian with the Toy Drive
· Lee Strickland: We are with the recreation capstone class and we are putting on an event December 10 for Partners. We are putting together a toy drive for them for Christmas. We already have $1900 in donations and we have about 60 names of the neediest kids in the program. We want to provide a meal for the kid and their mentors and families. We have the ballroom reserved and Sodexo will be giving us a deal. We are asking SGA for some money for food.
· Lauren: We would need you to write a bill and we need a senator (Richard) to sponsor it and we will not be able to vote until next semester.
· Lee: We have talked to John from Sodexo and he is flexible so I am pretty sure he would let us pay him next semester.
· Jesse: What kind of food will you provide?
· Lee: Mostly finger food, stuff kids would like.
V. Special Topics
· Induction of the MMA club
· We are a club to allow students with the same interest to have fun and teach self defense. We would eventually like to provide classes for the community as a fundraiser for our club. Most of our really focused members are freshman and are getting it organized and pushing it forward.
· Jesse: How many people do you have showing interest in the club?
· We have 8 that show up regularly and about 5 that come on occasion. We are doing endurance in the gym and Megann Powell will open up the lower gym with the old wrestling mats for us next semester.
· Haleigh: Where are you planning on competing?
· Mostly just against each other this year until we build up the program.
· Lauren: Is this coed?
· D’Andre motions to vote
· Nick seconds
· All vote yes
VI. Discussion Items
· LEAD bill- Devon
· Requesting $200. We are trying to get students involved. We will have big events and small events that students can come to. You prove that you went to an event by taking a picture and giving it to LEAD. We also want to bring more business to food places around town.
· Women’s Hockey bill- Chris
· Requesting $4440. The high costs of rink time and police officers and refs are because of the reputation of western state hockey and we are trying to change that. We want as much money as you are able to give us. We are asking for the price of 6 home games because this will benefit the students and community the most. We are selling sweatshirts now and the coaches threw in their salary for a donation to the club. We are helping the youth hockey in the valley and doing other odd jobs.
· Jesse: Will you charge admission?
· I understand that the men’s team did last year and we will, but we want to allow it to be free for youth girls because that is one of our goals of the team to reach out to that group.
· BSA bill for MLK speaker: Richard
· Requesting $850. Grace: He will be speaking for any classes that want and in the ballroom for the main event. This is a huge tradition at Western and we have had very prominent speakers and want to keep it going. He will be here the weekend of January 18, 19, and 20 and is coming at a very reasonable price.
· Sarah: If you are not granted the money what will you do?
· Grace: We will not be able to host him.
· Jesse: Is it possible for BSA to get together and finalize the bill to see exactly how much money they need?
· Grace: Yes and I will let you know.
· Constituent’s response to the suggestion of J-term
· The J (January) term would be four weeks. Would this effect graduating seniors and them able to get jobs?
· Devon: I talked to a couple seniors and they said it really wouldn’t affect them that much.
· Austin: Most people I talked to did not like the idea of J term.
· Rachel: Most people said they would not like it if it pushed school longer in May.
· Haleigh: More people liked pushing one week rather than 2 weeks.
· Fall semester would get out at the same time.
· Shelley: I went to a college with the J term and I liked it. It gave individuals who are academically challenged a chance to replace a failed grade from fall semester, and it allows the student to focus on that one class during the four weeks. This would be similar to a summer school class
· Angie: Would there be an online option?
· Shelley: That is a very good question, I will ask.
· Jami: Many other colleges already have a 4 week Christmas break and get out 1 week later. Students who need a certain class to graduate would have the option during J term which is good at a small school.
· Grace: Could they start earlier in the fall and get out at the same time in May?
· Austin: What kind of classes would they offer? Is it going to be aimed more towards extended studies? This would be a big change that would only appeal to fewer students.
· Angie: I know some students from other schools use this time to take fun classes.
· Grace: Do you think it would affect students because many of the student population would want to be here to ski/snowboard rather than study?
· Elijah: That would really be up to the student.
· Is this the same committee that is working on getting rid of classes on Fridays and mid fall break?
· Different committee.
· Devon: Much of the discussion is aimed towards graduating seniors. Would this affect them much?
· Sabret: Most people have jobs or internships set up before graduating so I don’t think one week will really make that much of a difference.
· Elijah: How soon will this take affect?
· Shelley: Possibly fall of 2011. J terms are very common at colleges.
· Jesse: What is the main reason that the school is looking at this idea?
· Shelley: It gives the opportunity to offer more classes for the students. Can go into FTE.
· Austin: I think they should just offer more classes during the semester.
· Sarah: It is a small school and with budget cuts and capstone classes they can’t do that.
· Jamie: I think offering more upper division classes during this time would be more beneficial.
· Grace: How much will it cost?
· Shelley: We need to get someone in here that knows a lot more information because there are so many questions.
· Noah: Would graduation be going into June?
· Shelley: I don’t think so, but we should get a schedule from someone who has more information.
· $10,263 in SGA bill budget now
VII. Action Items
VIII. Advisor Report
· Night of Lights is Friday and the lighting will be at 6:30. Get in the spirit!
IX. Committee Reports
X. Advisory Reports
· Sabret: We have our last meeting on Tuesday and we will do a Christmas party. And men’s and women’s cross country run in Kentucky for nationals this weekend. Home wrestling tomorrow at 7 pm.
· Travis: Dodgeball going on.
· Jamie: Hopefully Inter Club Council can give some money to give to BSA and women’s hockey bills when our budget gets figured out.
· Noah: We have a discounted student avalanche course this weekend.
· Elijah: Tomorrow at 6:30 pm in the ballroom we will have 2 comedians. Last Program Council meeting will be December 6. I would like to hear your feedback on how you think PC did this semester. Would SGA, LEAD and WRAP want to combine and do something for the Night of Lights? Yes SGA will help.
· Angie: The student One Act plays will be on Friday and Saturday nights at 7:00 in Keating and tickets are $3 for students and $5 for community. December 2 at 7:30 is a band concert at the high school. December 7 at 7:30 is a choir and orchestra concert at the high school. December 9 at 7:30 is the Chambers Ensembles in the Quigley recital hall. Also on December 9 at 7:00 is the student film night in Prosser Theater.
· Stephanie: none
XI. Executive Reports
· Sarah: Next Monday December 6 at 8pm is the constitution committee meeting. December 9 at 7:00 pm in the College Center is the design input meeting. Board of trustees is December 10 from 8 am to 1 pm at North Ballroom. Tomorrow is the Sustainability Action Committee Outreach and Education training at 12:30 in the LEAD office.
· Jesse: Sarah and I went to joint budget committee in Denver where we pleaded for more money because Western is unique. Tomorrow at 12:30 in the SGA office we will be meeting with all club sports teams to talk about sportsmanship and conduct.
· Molly: Shred Fest tomorrow 6-8pm.
· Lauren: The retreat will be January 22. I will be sending out emails to you with more information. Next Wednesday is red day. Wear red to show love and after the meeting at 8 pm the movie Kinzie will be showing in the ballroom. Bring your white elephant gift next meeting!
· Grace: Everyone on advisory bring me your schedule (and your advisors) so I can plan budget meetings by next meeting.
XII. Senator Reports
· Haleigh: I am selling my 36” TV if anyone wants it for $25 dollars.
· Rachel: none
· Devon: I will meet with the Top to start coordinating SGA’s involvement.
· Richard: none
· Megan: none
· Austin: none
· D’Andre: none
· Chris: Has anyone on campus noticed that the internet is really slow during the evenings? They made the huge internet switch this semester, which do you like better? Talk to your constituents and see what they say.
· Nick: Football program is in the process of getting a new coach.
· Sam: none
XIII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Don’t forget your white elephant gift for next week’s meeting!
· Nick: We were talking about putting a coffee maker in the SGA office.
· Talk to your constituents about the bills.
· Come to the PC office at 3 on Friday to help set up the sculpture.
· Noah, Jesse and Sabret are van certified
· Elijah: You can come talk to computer services about the internet as well.
XIV. Late Roll Call
· Travis, Brian, Walker, Ciera