April 4, 2012
Student Government Association Proposed Agenda Action Meeting April 4, 2012
Student Government Association
April 4, 2012
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
Stephanie May to Action Items
IV. Guest Speaker
V. Action Items
Stephanie May: Requesting more paper, she is in senior seminar, and we have started massage, and I am down to 10-20 pages. I don’t know how many more pages I need. I can print from home.
We motion to move 350 additional pages for Stephanie May’s account (10/10)
VI. Discussion Item
a. Budget: The budget committees recommend a 3% decrease, but if we were to have more students enroll, then the money would go back to the subcommittees. They can use the money if we budget for a decrease, but have higher enrollment so we don’t punish the subcommittees.
i. Do you think people would disagree with putting money back in the subcommittees?
iii. If there is a surplus, I would agree it would need to go back to the subcommittees
iv. I don’t see a problem with budgeting a flat budget and then dealing with cuts. It seems like the same process. Either way cuts or re-allocation we would have to do nothing.
v. We would like to proportionally put the same money back into the subcommittees rather than into bill money, or the reserve.
b. Constitution Committee: We finished rewriting the bylaws and constitution last Thursday. We made a few changes, and we will vote on it tonight. Most of our changes were grammar. Section 5 of Article 5, changed ‘student ID’ to ‘student number’. We added some positions to adviser. Under executive, we put that we have weekly meeting. We added that to be in SGA you have to be in good academic standing through the Registrar. Also, if you do not have your application in by the deadline, it will not be considered.
c. Motion t approve the constitution as it was sent out (all/all)
d. Bylaws, removed secretary to executive than advisory. The biggest change we made was to athletic ambassador. We propose we reduce the duties, instead to coming to the meetings he will serve 3 office hours and go to SAC meeting. We would change the pay from $200/month to $75/month.
i. Have you spoken with Blake?
1. He feels you do have quite a bit of duties.
ii. I think it is an important role, but some other member does the same reporting duties.
iii. How do you base other people’s pay?
1. $200 4 hrs/ week $75 3hrs/weeks
e. The sustainability coordinator was paid through LEED so we decided to now put a salary in the constitution.
f. Internal requests of money, was changed from an ‘or’ to an ‘and’ statement, so permission is required by both.
g. Why doesn’t department-funding count as fundraiser?
h. Can we change departmental funding to just say “they need to show they are invested in their bill, steps to monetary initiate”
i. We organized the section about how meetings are held. We changed it from proxy voting to absentee voting.
j. Regarding how the Intramurals position is being paid twice, since it is in the constitution.
i. We should address this in the bylaws. Since it is against our constitution and we have two positions that have double salary.
ii. It is a very tough debate; these positions should be getting more than $200, but probably less than $600.
k. There are too many questions that we do not have answers to. We should send through grammatical errors and the parts we can all agree on. The double-pay and pay of positions, we will suggest next year SGA needs to be look at these issues, since we need to vote on the bylaws this week.
l. I motion to approve the bylaws with exception to the athletic ambassador change and double-pay positions.
i. Second (13/17) Passes!
VII. Advisor Report
Shelley couldn’t be here tonight. Registration for students begins April 9th. She wants to remind people that elections are soon.
Thursday there is a luau and dinner for student $1 and on April 13th a workshop at 5pm will be done on Cachina dolls.
Brad: KSWB is having a fundraising when springfest begins.
Walker: if you’re graduating your email address expires 30 days after the start of next semester.
IX. Committee Reports
Nick, 21+committee: We have move forward on field day, and it is going well and we spoke with both Shelley and Gary. We will bring a bill through next week for food. It is an opportunity to put on a fun event. Friday, April 27th. Battle of the bands will be going on at the same time.
I suggest we start the community clean up committee, to help clean the community; it would be nice to have an SGA presence.
X. Advisory Reports
Sarah: Applications for elected positions are due no later than 430 on Friday and there is a mandatory meeting.
Nick: April 20th-29th The Gunnison chamber of commerce is doing flavors of Gunnison, for cool deals around restaurants. Opportunities for community service City council 530pm Friday, Saturday egg hunt.
Grace: The budget is the same as last week $2,047 for bill, and $1974 internal
Meg: Awkward fiction is performing next week.
Blake: Track Team in Stanford distance, and field sprinters and jumpers will be in New Mexico
Mark: Club fair 245-315, softball starts Monday
Elijah: Amy Anderson is talking now. Spring Fest 4-11 EVE6 Headliner
Noah: Mountain biking in Fruit
Karen: REF has excited many student and faculty; the spring symposium is going on. Check out Realfoodchallange.org
XI. Special Topics
XII. Remarks for the Good of the Order
You are not allowed to campaign right now.
No you are not supposed to be.
XIII. Late Roll Call