October 6, 2010
Minutes for October 6, 2010
I. Roll Call
II. Approval of Minutes
III. Approval of Agenda
IV. Guest Speaker
· Scott Truex: RTA bus fee
· I am with the RTA and I have a member of the board here with me. Our program is about 8 years old now. We help administer airlines to the airport. 2/3 of our budget is for air and 1/3 of it is for ground transportation. We have had some serious revenue cuts and we are down 27%. We collect 6% sales tax in CB and 3% in Gunnison. We have a one million dollar budget, but it is decreasing. We cut our air budget by 46%. We have a brand new service with American airlines and we will not be with Delta anymore. You can look at our website for more about that. Because of the budget cuts, we have to borrow 250,000 dollars this year. We need to stop because it ends up being more expensive. We are cutting the bus schedule to 6 trips a day at $2 a trip. It is harsh but we have to build our funds back up. The Denver bus was expanded to 7 days a week. We added an extension between Alamosa, Salida and Denver. Next, we will add a leg from Salida to Pueblo. Because the Denver bus is so successful COT has not needed to use all of its money. That means that this year they will not be charging us. This is good for WSC because they will not need to give the $10,000 usually given each year.
· Brian: Have you guys thought about a bus pass?
· Scott: We have but we can’t do it this year. There are problems with doing that this year. There will be a start up cost and we don’t know if the system will continue. And what if the bus is full and you have already paid? We want to have a pass eventually, but we need to see how this new system works first. Hopefully, we can still get back to the free ride. I am here to ask if you guys can help us get the word out. Our schedules are on the website and I have flyers to pass out.
· Jesse: How will you record the money coming in?
· Scott: The fare box is really cool because it is only accessible with 2 keys.
· Jesse: Do you have any more flyers to pass out?
· Scott: The schedule on the website is the best source of information..
· Walker: Does $2 allow you guys to break even?
· Scott: No. The average cost is $7.33 per person, so it’s a lot cheaper than most places. We also want to avoid overcrowding. We are counting on fewer people riding this year. We looked at other areas such as Durango and Boulder and their bus costs come from the student fees. We talked to Brad Baca and Gary Pierson about that but the group decided that the sustainability coalition would put in $2000 dollars because we are lessening our carbon footprint.
· Shelley: When you look into a bus pass, we could think about adding it to our students cards.
· Scott: We worked with some SGA members last year and I am a graduate from WSC so I think it’s important if we stay connected and keep the dialogue open. Towns people have not been happy, but we are doing all we can.
· Grace: Why not a punch card? Like buy 10 for a certain amount of money, then if the bus is full you just don’t get it punched and take the next bus.
· Scott: Good idea we will look into that.
· Noah: How many people will not take the bus? It is still cheaper to ride the bus than take your own car.
· Scott: I agree with you. The less number of buses will decrease people riding.
· Haleigh: How did you determine which buses were cut?
· Scott: The ones most used will be kept.
V. Special Topics
· You Da Bomb!! Senator of the month award
· Lauren: we decided that because a pay for senators is not budgeted we want to give a monthly award to someone. This month goes to someone who offered to write bills and followed up with issues we didn’t know the answer to. This award for September goes to Ciera.
VI. Advisor Report
· New student advisor meetings are tomorrow from 12:00 to 1:30 and emails are sent out about that. The new website is up and progress reports came out on Tuesday. Pass the word on about that. You’re assigned time to register for classes is on the website and so is the new spring schedule. Sustainability proposals are due this Friday October 8 by 5:00 pm. The Goal Setting workshop will be next Tuesday at 5:00 pm. Flu shots will be out October 14 from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. It will be a drive thru at the Public Health Center. You have a 3 day weekend next week.
VII. Advisory Reports
· Sabret: We had a meeting last night. We are setting up some fundraisers for us and “Make a Wish.” Football is here this weekend against Western NM and volleyball will be playing at Western NM.
· Intramurals: Open gym started and we had about 30 kids. Floor hockey will start soon as well.
· Jamie: Geology club is starting back up again and just turned in their paperwork. I am dealing with controversy's on ICC Financial report and Club Sport requirements. I am very busy.
· Noah: Last weekend we had an awesome time at the hike. This next weekend we have Rock III at National Monument and we already sold out a month ago
· Elijah: October 23 is family weekend.. We will have obstacles, bungee run, and a velcro wall from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. Jeff Civillico, a high energy stand up, will be performing in the ballroom at 7:00 pm. Haleigh and Austin are on our committee to look over event proposals.
· Angela: Everything is going well. Mountaineer Media just did a commercial about the play that will be opening during the Headwaters Conference. Tomorrow we have Wordhorde at 7:00 pm at Mochas.
· Stephanie: We are talking about helping the public health center for flu shots for people without insurance . I have a new bill coming soon and will have information about that next week
· Jesse: Tomorrow night the movie 800 Mile Wall will be playing in the South Ballroom. Facilities is looking for morning workers. October 18 Amigos will be hosting a Day of the Dead celebration from 8pm-12 am. There will be information and a dance. October 29 and 31 will be the haunted house. The Dream Act panel last night went well. Diane is looking for 4 people to help with the election in CB. You will be trained paid 150 dollars. You need to be a registered republican. Her number is (970)-641-7638
· Sarah: The field house, Recreation, and Apartment committee decided on designers SENATORS put on boards: Monday, October 11 in the ballroom will be debate between county commissioner candidates. Can I have a senator that would want to write a bill for Jam-a-thon? It will be a concert. Walker has the bill already. The W mountain run is next Saturday and is a fundraiser. Come talk to me if you want more information.
· Grace: Internal: $4677.76 Bill: $13,366.00
· Lauren: I am trying to plan spring retreat. January 8 or January 15 are the options.
· Grace: The 15th is during a 3 day weekend.
· Jesse: What about the 16 and 17th?
· Lauren: Think about these and let me know next week.
· Ciera: Will it be an over-nighter again?
· Lauren: Yes.
· Molly: None
VIII. Senator Reports
· I still need Sam to sign up for committees. I still have spots open for academic, campus foundation, and press committees.
· Rachel: None
· Ciera: If you know anyone interested in the free ride team, we have a meeting tomorrow night.
· Devon: I talked to a dif representative of Hickenlooper. They decided to send Joe Garcia to Gunnison to talk about certain bills on tax and education. They decided they would be here October 21 from 11:00 to 12:00. Don said Hickenlooper and Garcia will be doing a bus tour October 27 and will stop by Gunnison during this as well. I will be getting the agenda from them soon. They haven’t given me a flyer yet, but I’m assuming he will send me one soon.
· Sarah: Is it just informative or a campaign for Hickenlooper?.
· Devon: They said non-partisan.
· Jesse: I think you should ask him for flyers that we can use.
· Brian: None
· Richard: None
· Megan: None
· Austin: I am into more bike racks. I was thinking we could start an SGA Facebook page to allow students to comment on bills.
· Elijah: We have one for Program Council and we could allow a few SGA members to have access.
· D’Andre: None
· Walker: None
· Chris: WRAP was discussing with Sodexo about having more breakfast for a buck. Sodexo only wants to do it for 2 weeks. It fell through this past weekend. We would like to do one during family weekend. I met with Charly and signed up for his library committee. We discussed what the library could offer to WSC. SENATORS: Ask your constituents if they would like their money to help fund electronic books.
· Shelley: Can you print them off?
· Devon: No.
· Nick: None
· Sam: None
IX. Discussion Items
· “Skate Your Face Off” bill: Ciera
· Jordan: Contact info: email@example.com
· Jesse: How many students have you had show interest?
· Jordan: We started a Facebook group and had 17 interested in participating as of yesterday.
· Sarah: If the money is not allocated to you, where would you get the money?
· Jordan: We just wouldn’t provide T-shirts.
· Lauren: senators will talk to constituents and we will vote next week.
· Paintball bill: Walker: Splatter Fest: all the money goes back into paintball and to fund event next year
· Sarah: have you asked for donations from other sources?
· No, but I will be talking to Sodexo.
· Jesse: How many people showed interest?
· People are very interested we just need to get it going
· Lauren: Have you talked to interclub council?
· Shelley: They do not have enough bill money.
· Longboard competition- Brian:
· Eric Hagelin:
· Sarah: how many females have shown interest?
· Eric: I have 6 females and 30 males signed up so far. I talked to the magazine Concrete Wave out of CA and they will run an article about this competition at WSC.
· Sarah: What is the Facebook advertisement?
· Eric: It allows you to specifically target Western students. I have been doing that with my own money.
· Noah: Did you contact Sector 9 or other companies like that toget boards cheaper and then advertise for them.
· Eric: I contacted them and they said no. I can look into that more next year.
· Devon: Are you looking for a reimbursement?
· Eric: Yes
· Grace: Did you talk to Never Summer? They are located in Denver.
· Eric: No, but I will look into it.
· Elijah: Program Council will cover a lot of the cost because SGA has to wait to vote after the event.
· Jesse: You are asking a lot of money ($800), but only producing 100 dollars.
· Eric: This is alos an event to allow students to hang out and have fun.
· Elijah: GVAWL is the main focus, but we are getting students out and to have fun on campus.
· Eric: I would also like to talk to people about long board safety. This would be a great time to communicate to them all.
· Sarah: What would happen if SGA does not allocate the funds?
· Elijah: Program Council will do it.
· Contact info: firstname.lastname@example.org
X. Action Items
· Pay head senator
· Lauren: last year they were paid 75$ a month. We are expecting a larger role.
· Grace: budget committee recommends 75$ per month. The budget committee recommends we take it from our internal budget.
· Vote $75 yes or no
· Motion passes
· Richard motions to increase $150
· Haleigh seconds
· Sarah: Her role is very important and she does a lot.
· Elijah: she is on 5 or 6 committees. I think she deserves more money than $75.
· Grace: This adds up to about 12.5 dollars per office hour.
· Travis: How much would we dip into reserves?
· Grace: We only have enough to do $75 a month in our internal, not $150. We will write it up in the constitution committee. If we dipped into reserve this year it would be budgeted for next year.
· Elijah: how much do we have in internal?
· Grace: $4677.76
· Walker: I just worry about dipping into reserve. There should be a monetary value for an expected amount of work. It should be a strict list that must be followed.
· Richard: It ends up being below minimum wage. $6.25 dollars per hour.
· Elijah: How much do we have in reserve?
· Grace: I will talk to Leonard.
· Austin: If we raise her pay to $150 then we should pay senators.
· Austin motions to vote on the increase
· D’Andre seconds
· Favor: 5 opposed: 7
· 75$ per month pay passes
· Austin: She should get paid from September.
· D’Andre motions to vote
· Austin seconds
XI. Remarks for the Good of the Order
· Sarah: There is a volunteer opportunity for BLM October 17 from 9 am to 4 pm. See me for contact information. SENATORS put on boards.
· Stephanie: I need to make a student affair committee after this meeting.
XII. Late Roll Call