Be an Orientation Leader
Do you love WSCU and want to help welcome the next generation of Mountaineers to our campus? Consider becoming an Orientation Leader! OLs play a vital role in facilitating the adjustment of new students to Western and the Gunnison community. As an OL, you will gain valuable teamwork, public speaking, and leadership skills by assisting new freshmen and transfer students with their transition to WSCU. OLs are also compensated with a stipend, provided discounted summer housing, and receive extra special perks along the way. Being an OL is a memorable experience that helps build an individual as a person and professional.
2013 Orientation Dates:
The WSCU LEAD/Orientation office is striving to be as sustainable as possible, so we have made our Orientation Leader application online. If this is not convenient, you also have the option to download a PDF and return the application to the LEAD & Orientation Office in University Center 118.
ONLINE ORIENTATION LEADER APPLICATION or downland a paper application here
ONLINE ORIENTATION LEADER REFERENCE FORM or download a paper reference form here
2013 Orientation Training Schedule
- Mandatory Returning OL Meeting: Friday, March 1, 5:30 p.m.
- Retreat: Friday, March 8- Sunday, March 10
- Tuesday evenings: Beginning March 5- April 30, 7:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Summer Training: Must be available approximately Monday, August 12
- Orientation: Wednesday, August 21 – Sunday, August 25
- Week of Welcome: August 26 – August 31
All of the trainings/programming listed above are required for Orientation Leaders.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR AN ORIENTATION LEADER INCLUDE:
Good academic (minimum 2.5 cumulative GPA) and judicial standing, maintained throughout spring/summer 2013. Demonstrate strong leadership skills which include: ability to provide leadership to fellow staff, ability to speak to large groups and and strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrate the ability to take initiative with staff duties and projects.
- Demonstrate the ability to work effectively and positively in a team environment.
- Possess a positive attitude throughout the new student Orientation program.
- Possess a strong desire to represent Western State Colorado University and be a role model for Orientation leaders and program participants.
Be available for approximately 10 hours of training in March and April 2013.
- Available to work for the entire fall Orientation, training and Week of Welcome in August 2013.
GENERAL ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES: :
Acquaint new students and their parents/family members with the community, structure, campus, policies & resources at Western State Colorado University.
Orientation leaders will serve as a guide, mentor and role model to new students, family members, and fellow leaders.
- Assist new students with the transition to campus life and encourage involvement in the WSCU community.
- If selected to be a WSCU Orientation Leader, you agree to adhere to all Western State Colorado University policies and exemplify the core values of our institution.
COMPENSATION: Orientation Leaders receive approximately $800, food during training/program and WSCU gear.