Western State Colorado University-Spring Orientation
Congratulations on your admission to Western State Colorado University!
SPRING ORIENTATION--JANUARY 12, 1-4 p.m.
Spring Orientation is scheduled for Sunday, January 12 from 1 – 4 p.m. in the University Center Ballroom. New Student Orientation is required for all first-time freshmen, students entering Western with 23 credits or less and/or students who have not lived on a residential campus before. Transfer students are welcome and encouraged to attend as well.
Please sign up online for this session by Thursday, January 9. The cost of attending the program is $35 and Orientation will apply this charge to your student account once you are signed up. If you prefer, you may also call our Orientation office at (970) 943-2469 and we are happy to sign you up over the phone.
What will you do during Orientation?
- Learn about how to achieve academic success at Western
- Learn how to access MyWestern, your portal to all campus information and Western email
- Learn about opportunities to get involved with the unique clubs and organizations on campus
- Hear from Financial Aid
- Explore majors and career opportunities
- Learn about recreational opportunities in the Gunnison and Crested Butte areas
- Get your Mountaineer Card. This card will be your official student ID and will give you access to the library, fitness center and athletic events. Depending on how you wish to utilize your card, you will also be able to use it at Mad Jacks (retail dining), the Bookstore, games area, campus laundry facilities, soda/vending machines, copy machines, Wilderness Pursuits trips or gear rentals and even for pizza delivery in Gunnison. Please bring an alternate ID, like a driver's license, to show the staff.
- Submit Immunization Records and Selective Service Registration. You should receive these materials along with your Orientation confirmation letter. All students must comply with immunization and selective service policies. For specific information, contact the Student Affairs Office at (970) 943-2090.
BEFORE YOUR ORIENTATION
Registration for Classes
Note: Please be registered for classes before you attend Orientation. Visit Registration and Course Information.
Secure your Financing
Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by visiting Financial Aid at (970) 943-3085.. Your Financial Aid Award Letter should reach you six to eight weeks after completing your FAFSA and any other required paperwork. If you have any questions, please contact
For Colorado Residents
Apply for the College Opportunity Fund (COF) stipend. Visitto apply. This stipend will apply to your account each semester you register for classes and lower your tuition bill! Note: This is a one time application that will require your Social Security number, legal name, and date of birth.
Reserve your housing and meal plan
The Residence Life packet is mailed to you shortly after your acceptance letter. Return the Residence Life Application, the student dining contract and student housing contract to the Office of Residence Life. If you have any questions, please contact Brenda Kaffenberger in Residence Life at (970) 943-2101 or e-mail .
Will you need disability services?
If you need assistance, please contact the Disability Services Office at (970) 943-7056.
If you are a transfer student, have you heard about Westerners in Transition (WIT)? WIT is Western State Colorado University's premiere program for Adult Learners and Non-Traditional students. WIT will guide you through the processes of navigating admissions, financial aid, registration, and other important steps involved in matriculating into Western. You will meet other students who share your experiences of going to college as an adult learner and can provide essential mentoring as you work toward your goal of a college degree. For more information please contact WIT homepage., (970) 943-2150 or visit the