Patrick A. Magee
Thornton Chair in Biology
- Ph.D., Wildlife Ecology, University of Missouri
- M.S., Wildlife Ecology, University of Missouri
- B.S., Wildlife Biology, Colorado State University
- Environmental Biology
- Wildlife Ecology and Management
- General Ecology
- Ecology Field Experience
- Colorado Ecoregions
My major professional goal is developing and delivering experiential courses for undergraduate students with emphasis on field based techniques and natural history. As a wildlife biologist I work cooperatively with local and regional researchers, managers, conservationists and many others to design and implement strategies for wildlife conservation. My recent research is two pronged: 1) sagebrush ecosystems with emphasis on obligate and near-obligate bird species and 2) mammal population dynamics and ecology, with focus on red fox in the urban/rural interface and snowshoe hares in the sub-alpine forests. I have a continued interest in wetland ecology and waterfowl and other waterbirds. I have worked with numerous undergraduate students in diverse projects from macroinvertebrates to mammals. The emphasis of many of these projects is on habitat relationships and land management consequences to populations and communities. In cooperation with student interns and volunteers, I coordinate the Gunnsion Sage-grouse Watchable Wildlife Program in conjunction with the non-profit organization, Sisk-a-dee, that my wife and I founded in 2000. I also serve on the information and education committee of the Gunnison Sage-grouse Working Group.
In addition to serving on the biology faculty, I am a member of the Environmental Studies Council and teach courses such as Science, Technology and the Environment and the Natural History of the Gunnison Basin. I am currently on sabbatical for the 2013-2014 academic year.
- Small mammal composition and habitat preference in an anthropogenic montane wetland complex in the Gunnison Basin, Colorado. John Richards and Patrick Magee.
- Bird communities in grazed and ungrazed montane wetlands in the Gunnison Basin. Ben Pritchett and Patrick Magee.
- Chemical characteristics and aquatic macroinvertebrate diversity, abundance, and biomass in thermal backwaters and hyporheic zones of Tomichi Creek, Gunnison County. Brigid Heckel, Patrick Magee, and Anne Ryter.
- Top-down verses bottom-up: aquatic macroinvertebrate population regulation in a Rocky Mountain wetland. Regan Tieff and Patrick Magee.
- Reproductive ecology and microhabitat characteristics of nests of sora (Porzana carolina) and common snipe (Gallinago gallinago) in a high elevation montane floodplain wetland. Kristi Davies and Patrick Magee.
- A classification of vegetation community succession for a montane floodplain in relation to nest site selection by the sora (Porzana carolina) and the common snipe (Gallinago gallinago). Wendy McDermott and Patrick Magee.
- Effects of mowing on small mammal communities in arid sagebrush-steppe within the Gunnison Basin. Mike Thrift and Patrick Magee.
- The effects of fire on small mammal communities in the sagebrush ecosystem int he Gunnison Basin, Colorado. John Waters and Patrick Magee.
- Effect of wetland plants in the reduction of nitrogen and phosphorus in simulated run-off from feedlots. Eric Hoff, Evan Morgan, Dale Orth, Kevin Alexander and Patrick Magee.
- Effects of mechanical treatments on avian nest success and depredation rates in the sagebrush ecosystem in the Gunnison Basin, Colorado. Jason Brooks and Patrick Magee.
- Effects of predators on nest success of sagebrush birds in the Gunnison Basin, Colorado. Nick Hirsch and Patrick Magee.
- Using automated listening stations to investigate factors influencing vocal intensity and to monitor nesting ecology of boreal owls (Aegolius funereus). Tyler Hicks and Patrick Magee.
- A comparison of natural ejacualte characteristics and sperm morphometry between Greater Sage-Grouse (Centrocercus urophasianus) and Gunnsion Sage-Grouse (Centrocercus minimus). Tyler Hicks, Jessica Young, Sara Olyer-McCance, and Patrick Magee.
- Home range, movements, and habitat use of red fox (Vulpes vulpes) in Gunnison, Colorado. Preston Alden and Patrick Magee.
- Snowshoe hare (Lepus americanus) population density in a subalpine forest ecosystem in the Southern Rocky Mountains, Colorado. Patrick Magee.
- Determining presence or absence of Lynx canadensis in the Gunnison National Forest, Gothic, Colorado. Natalie Mesce and Patrick Magee.