Departing from Western
Information for employees and supervisors about what happens to accounts, email and online access when departing from Western.
Information for Departing Employees
When you leave Western, you must complete an Exit Checklist, available from Human Resources.
Definition: IT Assets are all those servcies provided to you as a Western employee, @western.edu email, network access, computer login, phone extension, voice mail, etc.
Before you check out:
- Make sure all of your work is complete.
- Remove all personal files and contact your supervisor to discuss transfer of any business related files. (All files left in your My Documents and if applicable Teacher folder may be made available to your former supervisor.)
- Inform your contacts of your email change and make arrangements with your supervisor to manage any business related email that may be directed to your email address (see Information for Supervisors section below).
- Bring your Exit Checkout Form to IT Services where we will confirm all necessary information.
- Access to all Western IT Assets (including email) will be removed not later than 5PM on the day you present your checkout form.
- NOTE: We may deactivate accounts at the request of your supervisor or other authorized official of the University. We may also be asked to forward your @western.edu email to your former supervisor.
- NOTE: Those granted Emeritus status by the University may keep their @western.edu email address as long as they wish to do so.
Information for Supervisors
Below is the standard procedure when an employee or faculty member terminates employment at Western. Special cirucumstances (e.g. active or pending litigation) may alter the standard procedure.
Access to all IT Assets is removed no later than 5PM on the day we receive the Exit Checkout Form.
IT sends an email to the departing employee’s supervisor reminding him or her to submit, if needed, an “IT Asset Access" work order to specify how IT handles the departing employees IT Assets.
If a request IS NOT received, any remaining IT Assets are deleted or removed automatically 10 business days from employee departure date.
If a request IS received, IT Services will perform the requested actions:
- If the request includes access to data (files and/or email), IT Services will make the information available to the supervisor (or delegate) for up to 30 days during which time they can copy or move the data to the appropriate location if they need to be retained.
- After 30 days, or per instruction by the supervisor to remove them earlier, the data assets are permanently deleted.