PDQ Organizational Charts
WSC's Guidelines for Organizational Charts
All PDQs -- whether for a new position, reallocation of an existing position, or update of an existing position are required to attach an organizational chart as per section II which reads:
Attach a current organizational chart that includes class titles, position numbers and FTE of the following.
• Subordinate positions.
• Student, seasonal and other positions that are part of the regular/permanent staffing pattern.
Exclude temporary positions and personal services contractors.
The following will assist you in meeting this requirement:
- Both PDQ and the organization chart are transmitted to HR in hard copy with original signatures and in electronic format. Therefore, organizational charts must be created using Word (preferred) or in Excel.
- The organizational chart must be formatted to fit onto a single 8-1/2 x 11 sheet.
- No incumbent or person's names should appear any where on the chart.
- Multiple positions of the same classification & reporting lines may be grouped together or indicated separately.
- Be sure to include FTE totals for each field.
- Postions which have been exempted from the state classified system need to be identified as: title, exempt posn. & FTE.
- ADDITIONAL WSC REQUIREMENT: The appropriate appointing authority must be indicated in the reporting line. This may mean that the chart may have to go up higher than the 2nd level supervisor. The appointing authority is the cabinet level position to which the position reports -- President, VP Academic Affairs, VP Finance & Administration, VP Student Affairs, or VP Development.
- If the boxes are blue with white text, instructions for cleanup so that it's legible on printout:
• First click on the entire diagram in the upper left-hand corner & change the text color to black using the (Home tab on the Word main toolbar).
• Each box on your org chart will need to be changed:
• Right click on the box
• Format shape
• Change fill to no fill
• Line color to black with 0% transparency
• Line style to 1.0 pt. – except leave at 2.0 pt for the position that for this PDQ
• It also helps if you bold the text for the box for this position.