Because of their achievements, Honors students are eligible to apply for many scholarships. Listed below is the application information for the WSCU Presidential Honors Scholarship open only to students enrolling in the WSCU Honors Program as freshmen/women. Contact the Financial Aid office (970-943-3085) for a complete list of scholarships and financial aid packages.
The WSCU Presidential Honors Scholarship
The WSCU Presidential Honors Scholarships, established by the Jack and Marilyn MacAllister Foundation shall be an elite class of scholarships awarded to Western’s highest achieving and most deserving students, celebrating the ideals of academic excellence and service to the campus and community. Recipients of the Scholarships will be members of the Western State Colorado University Honors Program.
There are 8 Presidential Honors Scholarships of $2500 each. Each year two new Presidential Honors Scholarships will be awarded to two incoming freshmen.
The Presidential Honors Scholarships are renewable for non-seniors if the following criteria are met:
- The scholarship recipient must maintain a minimum 3.5 G.P.A.
- He/She must contribute their leadership abilities to the Honors Program as a student and actively reflect the values and ideals of the Honors Program.
- Finally each scholarship recipient must submit a brief letter outlining these accomplishments each spring.
Criteria for incoming applicants:
Eligible candidates should have a high school, transfer, or Western State Colorado University grade point average of, at minimum, 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. Candidates must also demonstrate leadership qualities or experience and a commitment to intellectual inquiry and academic challenge.
- Send a cover letter explaining why you want to be a part of WSCU's Honors Program and what you think you can bring to the Program. You should also address what you think the value of being part of an Honors Program is for yourself.
- Two sealed letters of recommendation from teachers, guidance counselors, professors or academic advisors which address the student’s accomplishments and suitability for a college Honors Program.
- Copy of your most recent educational transcript
- A resume of your qualifications, accomplishments, service, extra-curricular activities.
- Any other documentation that would be helpful in evaluating you as a candidate for this Scholarship.
Applications are due by March 24 of the year of application and should be submitted to:
Western State Colorado University Honors Program
Dr. Heather Thiessen-Reily, Honors Director
The Presidential Honors Scholarship Program
Taylor Hall 110A
Western State Colorado University
Gunnison CO 81231
The Western State Colorado University Foundation Scholarship Program Committee will make selections within a few weeks of the closing deadline. Notification of award recipients will follow shortly thereafter.
Contact the Admissions office for more information and for a complete list of available scholarships.